Distinctive nomenclature

JohnF

Amazing what occurs to one in the middle of the night when sleep is elusive. I'm sure this has occurred to all of you before but as a relative newcomer to the fun I gotta say y'all sure talk funny.

For example - I target lunkers, slabs, snotties, skis and eyes. I lip buckets. I covet toads. I cradle gators. I use plastic and braid on my meat stick, and I do it in a tinny. I float skein on a noodle for nooks. I horse hawgs. I dread birds nests. And so on.

What must the uninitiated think when you let this babble slip into everyday discourse. :blahblah1:

JF

YEP....this afternoon I'm goin' poppin' for buckets...and maybe chug for a ski or two...maybe a gator and if i'm lucky and have time left I'll bang the bottom for some eyes.

hang on to that ropamine while i get this tinny on the wagon..

See what I mean? Sheesh!

JF

If ya think that's funny... you ought to hear me talk. :rolleyes:

Can you be any harder on the ears than my buddy in Louisville? And he's a Navy vet to boot. Or Tom from Yonkers. But now that I think about it they both sound like English gentry compared to our friend from Missouri. I just stand there shaking my head as he garbles words at me, and he laughs the whole time cuz he knows how much he's messin' with me. He says ever'bodah talks lahk him in Branston, ceptin' mebbe some a' them thar hill folk who talk real peculiar. Branston must be hillfolk talk for Hawg Holler. I just can't figger out how an EMT can deal with emergencies when every word he utters sounds like he's chewing raw catfish guts. He's a great guy, I think. One day when I learn to translate what he says I'll know for sure. My wife accidentally took a pic of him applying a catheter condom before one of our dives and to this day she has no idea if he was cussin' her or bragging.

Speaking of my wife, she hates when we hook up with you funny sounding folk. She says I start sounding like you in no time and then she can't understand anyone in the conversation. That being said, our Missouri buddy is one of her favourites. Of course she did see him sans condom that day. :whistling:

JF