Spencer Creek/Hamilton Area Tribs?

dobee

Hey everyone,

I just moved to dundas in sept. and im looking for some nice places to do some rainbow fishin this fall, Im new to the whole steelheading thing...Heard from some people that spencer creek is a nice place to fish? true or false? lol. if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated... thanks alot..

dobee

Edited by dobee

If your going to fish the creek make sure you read teh regs, and know where the sanctuaries are and whent he season closes. It is alot diffrent then other tribs. Indeed a nice creek to fish but with not having alot of rain this year. The creek is not very wide but their are some okay holes. I would defitnatley not recomend eating any fish from that creek as their was a chemical spill from a fire in the summer and it killed all the fish i their. I don'tm know weather it's going to affect the run, but my guess would be yes it will.

Spencer Creek used to get a decent run of steelhead and chinook. It seems to me the runs greatly diminished after the carp barrier was constructed at the mouth of Cootes Paridise.

Spencer also had a large pink salmon run back in the '80s.

Water has been record low so far this fall but should get better with the forcasted rain and the emptying of Christie resevoir which should start soon. Since the flow has been so low, so late, I doubt there will be many salmon using the creek this year.

The creek falls under the normal trout season for most of its length, closed from Sept. 30 to the last Saturday in April. An all-year open section is from Cootes Drive (HWY 102) down to the lake. Mostly frog water, slow with a mud (don't wade in there!!!) bottom.

I don't much bother with it much anymore as you will get better luck at Bronte or the Credit.

HTH,

Burt :)

I thought the crap gate will prohibit any salmon/trout run to the creek completely now?!

I still fish there from time to time, but like you guys said, after the fire, the bites are super slow...

For now, you will be lucky to even get channel cats in there...

pulled a couple of steelies out of there last spring, that creek is just timing, valley inn has good runs of salmon and, steelies aswell, exspecially after iceout for steelies can be real fun.

, also bayfront park at the boat launch has some too aswell, salmon should be there now, the browns should be in their in a couple of weeks aswell cheers.

pulled a couple of steelies out of there last spring, that creek is just timing, valley inn has good runs of salmon and, steelies aswell, exspecially after iceout for steelies can be real fun.

, also bayfront park at the boat launch has some too aswell, salmon should be there now, the browns should be in their in a couple of weeks aswell cheers.

Wow. thanks for the info. Now i know i can try salmon without the need to go so far.

So i just wonder, what kinda bait you use for salmon by the boat launch? roe bags? cuz i dont think casting spoon is a good idea due to all the weed there. Am i right?

By the way, you mind telling me which part in the creek can you catch steelies? I always arrive the creek by the princess point park. Is it close to there?

Thanks a million in advance!

Wow. thanks for the info. Now i know i can try salmon without the need to go so far.

So i just wonder, what kinda bait you use for salmon by the boat launch? roe bags? cuz i dont think casting spoon is a good idea due to all the weed there. Am i right?

By the way, you mind telling me which part in the creek can you catch steelies? I always arrive the creek by the princess point park. Is it close to there?

Thanks a million in advance!

Read the regs for spencers creek and be sure you know where it open and whats open.