Your thoughts on this please

misfish

This morning I headed down to see how the people were making out on the shore here ,and I noticed 99% of them were using shrimp as bait. Most were using cooked,but there was this group that was using raw. My question is,would there not be a chance of investation of maybe a virus coming off of them? I know we eat them,cooked for me ,but being raw,I just think that this maybe wrong.

Your thoughts please.

Oh, for the guy I was to meet,where were you. :dunno::wallbash::Gonefishing:

Hm m m m m ?? Shrimp?? I'd heard of them bein' used for lakers & whities before, but from shore . . . . I'm assuming they were perchin'? (Whities & trout are closed there, aren't they?) If these are the same shrimp we buy to eat . . . . wouldn't they be a bit expensive? One perch per shrimp . . . . as opposed to unlimited perch on a Finese shiner?

Jen they are popular here as catfish bait, also heard of an ocassional carp caught on them Also heard of people using them for smallies, and I have tried that with no success. 4. 50 or more here for a dozen soft shell crawfish, about the same for medium shrimp 41-50 count(frozen).

equality brand shrimp ring is $3. ($2. when on sale) for 50-60 frozen pieces, it's actually pretty cheap when compared to chicken livers ($4. for a pack of apx 12), of course that's all for catfishin'.... got 2 packs of shrimp in the fridge waiting for spring :D

Be happy you can still buy Crayfish over there Ohiofisherman ..they banned us from selling them here in Ontario ..

Im sure thats what the shrimp imatate. Crayfish tails.

Thier catching small perch Jen and alot of 6-10 inch smallies. I,ll leave it at that. :wallbash: I know not breaking any laws.

Thanks all for your replies,got to split,got a sis to marry off.

Have a great day all

Fishmaster, I haven`t used crawfish for bait in years and usually caught my own when I did. The invasive species thing I think with your ban? Rusty Crawfish being sold? I had some real good days using crawfish for smallies on Lake Erie years ago, also had days when you couldn`t keep the sheephead away from them, an expensive bait to buy to feed Sheephead.

My biggest Sheephead came on a crawfish, pushing 20 pounds, smallies being a smaller fish don`t stand much chance against that kind of competition for food. I have also used Golden Shiners and suckers for smallies, suckers seem to attract more interest from Walleye on Lake Erie, the Golden Shiners can go either way. Last 20 years or so mostly lures, good bait stores are hard to find, and I didn`t have time to chase bait.

We get the Lake Erie shoreline bait stores with small minnows for panfish(eg. perch), inland lakes bait stores sell golden shiners for bass, some cross over in early spring. Now that the bass season is closed on Erie (a good thing) I don`t fish there early in the year. Rather see them spawn in peace, lol don`t fish much now anyway.