I've got the Blues

ecxstriper

I have had a lot of time on my hands these past couple of weeks, so I have been surf fishing like a madman.

My friend Lago had related to me that he never catches anything. I decided to take him out for overnight surf fishing. We arrive around 9pm, walked 1/2 mile to my spot and set up 4 rods. Lago was inexperienced casting the longer rods, especially in the dark so I put him in charge of baiting. We got a lot of Skates (stopped counting when we hit double digits), 2 nice Blues (around 30 inches, pics did not turn out), 2 dog sharks (4 ft long...great fighters!)

Here are the sharks...

shark2.jpg

shark1.jpg

and this little fellow.....a stargazer

stargazer.jpg

You have to be careful when handling Stargazers because they will give you a mild electrical shock.

Lago and I had a great time, so good in fact, that he asked me to take him to get his own surf setup..rod, reel, tackle box, line, lures and all the other cool stuff that will empty your savings account.

I went back out Saturday morning, arrived at daybreak, the weather was perfect but I only managed a few sea robins and one Blue........

blue.jpg

can I enter this in the tourney?? :whistling:

As I was packing up the van to head home around 6:30pm, Lago called and wanted to know about going fishing to break in his new rod. Told him where to get bait and coffee while I unpacked the van. Lago arrived around 8pm. Along with the bait and coffee I should have asked Lago to bring me some warmer clothes..the weather had turned windy and cold. Fishing was slow, not even the Skates were biting. Left around 4am Sunday morning, no fish but had a great time.

Following Thursday

Lago and I left my place at 2:30am, arrived at the beach at 4am. Perfect weather and plenty of bait and coffee. We began setting up the 6 rods (we can fish as many rods as we can handle in New Jersey). I like to set up 3 rods each in the surf with different baits cast out at varying distances. Action started right away, didn't even have all the rods setup. Skates started off the action until the sun started rising, then it was the slammer blues (larger blues 10lbs +). We fished about 12 hours. There have been no Stripers yet as the water is still too warm for them to show up in any real numbers or size. I went 15/19 slammer blues.

slammer6.jpg

slammer5.jpg

slammer4.jpg

slammer3.jpg

slammer1.jpg

Lago had several hits and broke in his new rod with the big fish of the day....32"

lagoblue.jpg

Had one triple header but the blues crossed up the lines and we lost them all :wallbash:

Lago is now reading everything he can get his hands on and calls me daily to see when we can go fishing again.....I've turned him into an addict, his new wife (got married a month ago) now hates me and is plotting my demise :w00t:

Nice fish and report! One of these days I am going to get out that way to do some fishing with you....then you can take me to "your secret" spot and I can catch a sea robin lol Congratulations to Lago on the fish and the wedding!!

Notice the goatee is getting a bit long :whistling:

Right on alex !!!! :clapping::whistling: looks like you found a great surf fishing spot for sure....it always amazes me the different kinds of fish you can catch by fishing the surf. :w00t: ..they look cool,and that silver fish looks like he would put up a great fight....and those dog sharks look pretty cool B) ...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: