Simcoe Smallies New PB Weight

Minnow

Headed out to Simcoe on Friday to try my luck for some smallies

Was on the water before the sun was even up and was fishing in 25-30 FOW and was getting lots of fish but not the size that I wanted. Lots of 1-2 lber but no horses. I was using tubes and decided to go to another spot where I caught a couple of better fish but sill not real hogs. Here are a couple of the fish that I caught nothing huge but nice smallies

SimcoeSmallies2.jpg

Then I decided to go shallow and work a jerkbait over a rocky point and hit a couple of bass both around 3 lbs. Then finally I hooked into this nice fish in about 15 FOW

SimcoeSmallies1.jpg

After that the bite had slowed down and I moved into deeper water and started dragging tubes and all of a sudden I feel a light tap on the line so I set the hook and can feel right away that it is a horse! I bring the fish to the boat and my friend has one on at the same time! Double header and both Giants we bring the fish to the boat and I net mine but he loses his. I throw the fish in the livewell and go for another drift and whack! Fish on! I got these two footballs within a span of 5 mins!

SimcoeSmallies.jpg

Quick pic and back they go, I make several more drifts over the area and manage to pull out several more hogs off the same area in around 28 FOW! We got 5 fish total and lost about 3 nice ones! All the fish came on tubes that we were just dragging on bottom. All the fish weight between 4 and 5 lbs and the biggest weighed in at 4.85 lbs! This was the biggest weight on fish that I have ever caught, it was around 21.3 lbs total for the day and great day of fishing! I still have to beat my PB smallie of 6 lbs but hope that this fall simcoe will help me accomplish this! Today we got quality and quantity and simcoe is my new favorite lake for smallies!

SimcoeSmallies3.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant! You look pretty disappointed in the first pic, happier in the next pics and estatic in the last pic.lol That is a very impressive weight.Congrats.

Thanks Guys! I usually don't fish simcoe so I don't really know all the hot spots, I have been fishing in and around the north part of cook's bay is the fishing for smallies better near barrie, beaverton or northern simcoe? Also is the smallmouth season open until November 15th? I rarely fish later then october, I know the bass season closes in November just not sure what date? Will definately be there until the close of the season if the weather holds up! Thanks again Everyone!