H E L L L L P!! (Not Fishing)

Photoz

:wallbash:Okay . . . . I was just embarrassed almost outta my local Rogers Store last week . . . . I haven't had enough time in a few years to rent a movie, or keep up much as technology was rushing past, so I walked through the store lookin' for a movie to check out. Hm m m m m. . . . . where in 'ell do they keep the VCR movies? Finally I asked the kid at the counter, whom I think may have been about to ask me if I was just on my way home from dinosaur hunting . . . . but he kinda grinned and asked just how long since I'd rented a movie? I kinda got the message . . . . it's now DVD, OR NUTHIN'! I guess I'll just have to put my VCR in the closet, right beside my 8 - track . . . ya never know . . . . they MIGHT make a come-back?

So o o o guys & gals . . . . I've been asking around, and checkin' the 'net, but have very little clue what I'm lookin' for. I'm not too worried about price (to a point) and I like quality equipment. What I need is someting that will play DVD's, and record from my TV, any other features are a bonus. I have a 36" Sony XBR, (2001 vintage) HD ready (box came with it) that SHOULD be compatible with most DVD players / recorders out there. I actually have heard quite a bit about the 'Blue Ray' by Sony mentioned lately . . .. and SUPPOSEDLY these machines are far superior to most other stuff out there? Do they play & record ALL DVD's or are they strictly built for Sony stuff? Or do ALL DVD's play in ALL DVD players? I was quoted $599.00, with whatever wires and stuff it takes to hook it up . . . . I suggested $599.99 including tax MIGHT get me interested . . . and didn't get turned down flat.

But . . . . there's gotta be a few people on this board who are savvy to these things? Can anybody give me a few tips, and suggestions on one of them thar new-fangled gizmos? And after about 10 years, I've finally figured how to use most of the features on my VCR . . . . is learning to use a DVD any worse? DAMN . . . . . I HATE PROGRESS!! Thanks for you time.

I don't think I would get a recording DVD player. Rather, get a standard DVD player for about 150 bucks and get a personal digital recorder instead. They have a harddrive which is recordable and erasable.

Burning a DVD through your TV or cable will get you some pretty poor results. To record a decent DVD you should do it through your PC and requires a bit of software to get it done.

Steve...we got tired of buying mid price to expensive DVD players and having them go South....and 4 years or so ago bought a $49 Malata at Future Shop that's smaller than an answering machine...so takes no space in the TV rack. Works as good, or better than our last $500 pioneer!

You know, I wondered about the el cheapos . . . . I'm not looking for anything that'll pop my eyes with it's quality . . . . just something I can watch the occasional rented movie on, and catch my T V programs on. This is why I waded right in, loaded for bear, so to speak, thinkin' 'MORE MONEY IS BETTER QUALITY', now, I'm thinkin' more the way you do. I wonder if a DVD PLAYER could be hooked into my TV, along with the ol' VCR? After all, the DVD PLAYER (if I got it) would be used about 10% movie viewing / 90% TV viewing?

Does ANYBODY on this board actually own a DVD recorder / player? If so, how long? Any problems? Although I'm not ruling it (or anything else) out yet, I know they only hit our shores about 2+ years ago. But I found a lotta good suggestions . . . .. gonna start checkin' this week . . . . . might even be worth goin' to Barfalo? Then I'll likely have to borrow my neighbour's 6 year old kid to set it up for me?

Morning :) DVD and VCR hook up. We have accomplished this 3 ways. 1 you can purchase a combo (VCR & DVD) unit. 2 You can purchase a switcher box that will allow you to switch between the 2. 3 (I prefer this set up) The stereo reciever is the "switcher box" Hook everything up to the stereo, you get stereo sound and just choose your source (TV, VCR, DVD, CD etc..)

Enjoy the electronics shopping!!

The decision of what to get make take some time. In the interum get a cheap DVD recorder and learn how to use and maybe learn what you would want for a higher cost model. I got mine on Sam's club auction site. Total with shipping was about $65. Once you get used to it it's just like using VCR just make sure you get the right DVDs for your unit, ie DVD-R or DVD+R and get RW rewriteables and you can recoed and delete at your hearts content.

It’s funny that you posted about putting the VCR next to your 8-track player. I was watching the Simpson’s (I think it was them or maybe Family Guy) & they were walking through some place (dump or recycling place) that had a pile of 8-track players, VCR’s & a reserved spot for DVD players.

I wonder what will replace the DVD player? It will likely be around just long enough for everybody to have invested in a good collection of DVD movies before they discontinue it! I finally decided to go cheap . . . . since the DVD player can be hooked up WITH my VCR still intact (I didn't know this) all I gotta do now is get an el cheapo DVD player, and I'm away!! Thanks to this board and those who took time to share information, I saved a quite a few bucks!!