Car Key HELP (NF)

urbanangler1990

hey guys i have a situation here and am wondering if anyone can help, my car key broke in the ignition, and the small top half peice is stuck in it, we currently use the bottom half and can start up the car that way, but this is no resoulution to the problem, does anyone know any keysmiths or anyone who can take this piece out of the ignition for cheap?

ford , 99 mecury cougar, thats an interesting idea with the glue,

we've been through this before and the ford guys charge a bundle for a new key, and a locksmith to take it out is like 100 bux,

but the glue idea sounds interesting thnx

where can we get a magnet like that? would it be strong enough?

In my Honda, when I put the key in I must then push the key in to turn it into the correct slot - radio only of ignition.

Since you can turn the bottom part of the key and start the car, is it not possible for you to do the same thing if you were to use a small pair of pointed pliers?

If you can, you should then be able to turn the key with the pliers into the proper slot to pull the key out.

carp-starter - good luck

these American car dealers are smart. Since the manufacturers are losing money by the ton, they might as well charge you an arm and a leg for a spare set of keys.

All I have to do is go to Honda dealer with my key number or have a key cut and get a replacement. A hardware store is also OK.

Had the same thing happen to me...do you have CAA on that vehicle? When it happened to me, they sent a locksmith out, who managed to take out the broken off piece, but me a new key roadside and I was on my way in 45 minutes.

Now I get new keys cut when I notice wear on them.

;) if the super glue does'nt work.. probably will [ it worked on the storage compartment in my boat]

Go to an autoparts shop that sells Blue Streak { this the only manufacturer that makes this switch other than the OE} Benson' Auto Parts, Auto Parts Extra , sell Blue Streak have them order part #

US280L .. lock cylinder and key .. a realitavely easy job to do.. swap the parts yourself.

out the door should cost you no more than 79.99 --85.00 plus taxes.

go to the wreckers for about 50.00$

I sell parts for a living ... I run into problems like yours regularly.

thnx guys for all ur input,

CCMT no we dont have CAA, how much did that cost u though? a bundle i bet

drop of glue sounds like it should work but my mom says what if i mess it up and the whole thing gets stuck and so on, but i tell her a little drop cant get it stuck so u cant pull it out with force

We havent decided yet what to do, but i will try the jig thing, and the paper clippers or tweezers tommorow, thnx yall,

ill yet you know what happens when it happens

thnx

Edited by urbanangler

Here's the real answer. The same thing happened to me several years ago, and here's what I did. I went to a buddies house who has a stick welding machine. He set the machine at a very low amperage, grounded the steering column and then touched the rod to the broken key. He didn't strike an arc because of the low amperage. Instead he welded the rod to the key, and then proceeded to pull it out while it was stuck to the key. Worked like a charm.