Best Open'r Ever !!

Entropy

We had our decoys set up, canoe stashed, and were at the ready by 6:25am Saturday morning (yep only minutes till it opened), and MY GOD when it started we could not keep our guns loaded. Don’t get me wrong we weren’t sky-blasting, but dropping some birds and missing a good number of others.

By 9:00am we had our limit of Ducks (blue winged teal and mallards) and were trying to top up on Geese, which we finished off on a total of 7 by the time we ran out of shells.

It certainly was my best hunt ever, and my buddies too. It will be hard to top this one off.

Pics are on 35 mm film; I’ll post them in a few weeks.

Can’t wait till this Saturday to get out again, .... or Friday if I happen to be ‘ill’.

Entropy

Congrats on the good hunting! I find its a double edge sword. Its so great to limit out but man does it take long to clean them all. Im guessing you breasted them all? We had a good opening with 9 ducks and 2 geese but the pin feathers were too much of a pain to pluck. Cant wait for later season where you can get some good roasters.

Ya, it took about 1.5 hrs to get them into the freezer and fridge. We did all the ducks, teal and mallards up whole, and breasted and legged the geese. We have sent some of the geese to be made into sausage. Should be good. I feel sorry for my garbage man this week though; that’s going to be one smelly trash can!

Ran out of shells!!

You know how it is 2 teal fly by, you fire 3 shots (2 hit - 1 misses), the ducks hit the water one is a solid kill the other is fluttering about, you take another shot to finish it off. So right there your at a 50% success ration of shots to # of birds harvested.

Then there are the times when 3 geese fly in your take 3 shots your partner takes 3 shots; 2 of the geese are definitely dead when they hit the water, and one takes you on a ‘wild goose chase’, and that could use up another 4 shots.

Then there are the times when you have a lone goose come flying in perfect, swear it is well within range, take 3 shots, and the bird keeps flying, as you stand there wondering if it was wearing a flack jacket.

And, of course you have to account for the teal you fire at that are doing warp 5 past you, that you know are in range, but simply seem to out fly or out maneuver the incoming spread of #2's. I’m pretty certain I saw some flare and chaff coming off a few teal.

I took a box of BB ( not quite full) and a box of #2 ( not full), so in total I had 40 shells.... ?

This Saturday I will be sure to bring a little extra.

Enjoy your harvest.

Entropy

great report... makes me wish i wasnt sitting in my office in downtown toronto ! ! (thats like everyday )

... My hunt camp has been hunting the ponds on our property for the last couple weekends and did well ( up north not southern dist )

I ll be after grouse on sat and ducks in the mornings... mostly woodies in our around our ponds... Cant wait.. Best time of the year is NOW !