Ice Fishing is getting closer...

BrianV

Perhaps it's heresy to mention ice fishing while so many of you are still out on the open water, but I am really looking forward to it this year.

It may be due to the fact that I have been more or less skunked this year. Despite hours spent fishing the various lakes of Algonquin park and the St. Lawrence west of Cornwall, I haven't had a good keeper either from a boat or from shore. In Algonquin, I've caught ~120 smallies this summer. None were more than 6-8". In my numerous trips on the St. Lawrence, there has been no luck, for me or for the people I go with.

Obviously, I need to try something new, although I still have *some* ideas before I give up on open water.

Ice fishing, however, has me excited. Now, I am not one of those hardcores who you see flying across the ice from tip-up to tip-up in their snowmobile suits and grip boots. I am more static than that... I am more of a 'sit in the shack with the stove going, drink beer, and fish for 12 hours at a time' ice fisherman. Despite being static, I've had good luck with it - too many perch to count, and a 30" pike last year. A lot better return on my time than the other fishing I've done.

So, even though freezeup is still several months away, I am really looking forward to it. Perhaps that will be the end to my fish drought this year.

Who else is looking forward to it?

I really really really enjoy my icefishing

but

...---...

I can wait till Jan or longer for the cold weather

I was fishing whitefish from a boat the first week of Jan. this year on lake simcoe and loving it........

I do prefer warm weather

It will be unfair for me to complain about "open water" fishing this year. It was ( I should say still IS) very good season for me :thumbsup_anim: , but from time to time I'm thinking about "hard water". I need to beat my two PB this Ice season ( 15" jumbo and 30"/12lb walleye). I won't even mention IPFF ( ice perch fish fry), which keeps me going :whistling::whistling:

I need to beat my two PB this Ice season ( 15" jumbo and 30"/12lb walleye). I won't even mention IPFF ( ice perch fish fry), which keeps me going :whistling::whistling:

A 15" jumbo? That's pretty impressive. I've had many 12-13"... but never seen a 15", although perhaps this is the year! (fingers crossed). And never caught a walleye through the ice.

One of my favourite sights when ice fishing is looking in the hole. I love watching the perch scatter, followed by a pike coming in like a freight train, stirring up the silt behind him as he rockets through my little view.

By the time he turns around or makes another pass, I try to get one of my Rapala jigging lures down in his way - I've found that the 'Perch' patterned one is the best performer. (example here)

Usually that lure triggers a strike... it works decently on the perch as well - I tend to put a few maggots on the front and rear hooks, and the bigger perch will suck her in...

Can't wait!

First sign of snow or ice and I hibernate. :sleeping_02:

Cold hands and feet are not for me.

Bah, you should come out to a shack. I usually fish in a t-shirt... if you have a stove in your shack, you can keep it at a nice 21-22 degrees, absolutely beatiful!

I heard that because "we" icefisherman lost 1 month of ice fishing last year that we will be hearing the jiffy's buzzing by the 3rd week of November this year.

Last winter was pitiful only got in 150 hours of ice fishing, compared to 240 hours the winter before.

I think that asking for my first crappy on ice in the 3rd week of November is not too much to ask. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by wallyboss

I really really really enjoy my icefishing

but

...---...

I can wait till Jan or longer for the cold weather

I was fishing whitefish from a boat the first week of Jan. this year on lake simcoe and loving it........

I do prefer warm weather

I'm with ya on this one Terry. I go with the flow of the seasons and don't complain about any of them. But Ice fishing in the 3rd week of November???!!! 2nd week of December..........maybe........ :D

Don't get me wrong I want to have a winter longer then 4 weeks this year. It really hurt the winter tourism industry pretty hard last winter. It would be nice to see them have a great season.

Now enough of this talk until November. It's 31 degrees outside! Get out there and enjoy it!! ;)

I'm saying the 3rd week of November for the first time out.

last year was I think Dec 8th, 06

and year before was Dec 10th,05.

so 3rd week of november is only 2 weeks before this!!!

I'll make ya a deal. You can have the ice you want on the 3rd week of November in your neck of the woods as long as I can have open water in mine. Deal? :D We didn't have any safe ice down my way until the mid/end of January last season. Fishing from boats at the beginning of January!

Edited by fishnsled

I'm from Northern Ontario, and Ice is in my blood.

Innisfil006.jpg

That's the spirit! Nice setup, by the way - nice and portable. When you are having a day when the fish aren't at your hole, you can move to a better spot whereas I get to wait it out in my shack...

filthy words u speak ice fishing is a last resort.dont get me wrong i love the hardwater but its very boring compared to open water.and the water will be open for a long time still.even when the lakes start to freeze there is still opportunity to catch chrome on the tribs.or fish the hotpipe in porthope open water all year.