Fly Fishing Rod HELP! Hard to pull apart

kayak fisher

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I recently came into possession of an old Shakespeare three piece fly rod. It has aluminum male/female connections, that are easy enough to put together but extremely difficult to seperate. I am worried that if I pull too hard on the section I will ruin the rod. Could someone please let me know what I could use to lubricate these sections? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

DSC08404.JPG

I know that this is going to sound silly but I learned this from a master many years ago and it works. Take the male ferrule and turn it in the crease between your nose and your cheek. Most people have enough skin secretions there to "oil" the ferrules.

Don't be putting other products on there.

Aye t'es super vite Roy!

That's a nice piece Kayak Fisher. Aluminum or nickel metal ferrules have a nasty habit of getting wedged in. The oil or "fat" in the crease between your cheek and nose offers just the right lube to prevent this.

That takes me back though. That trick was one of the first things I learned in my fly casting class with Gordon Deval. His cheek would be dirty after a session of casting ahahha.

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

That takes me back though. That trick was one of the first things I learned in my fly casting class with Gordon Deval. His cheek would be dirty after a session of casting ahahha.

A friend of mine showed me that trick one day. The problem was that when he demonstrated the move, he was standing at an angle such that it looked like he just shoved the end up his nose and twisted with enthusiasm. My only thought was "eeewwww!' and I tried to remember if he'd borrowed any rods from me lately. <_<

JF

Here's a tip for when it's time to disassemble the rod:

Put the rod behind your back...across your butt

Grip the rod on each side of the ferrule...with your hands/wrists as tight to your hips as possible.

To pull the ferrule apart you need to pull in a straight line...so they don't bind.

In order to do this, you only need to squat slightly.

It works like a charm!

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

I know that this is going to sound silly but I learned this from a master many years ago and it works. Take the male ferrule and turn it in the crease between your nose and your cheek. Most people have enough skin secretions there to "oil" the ferrules.

Don't be putting other products on there.

....Yep, what Roy said. My Grandfather taught me that many moons ago when all flyrods had metal ferrules.

I have nickel ferrules.

I always carry in my vest a piece of a candle in a plastic bottle (to keep the candle clean).

Here is what I do:

I first blow on the candle thinking it will soften it a bit.

Using strokes, I rub the candle on the male ferrule.

I blow on the ferrule – again thinking it would soften the film.

Using my thumb and finger, I rub in the film on the ferrule.

Now, using something clean (cloth or whatever) that will not leave any residue on the male ferrule, I wipe off any of the candle on the male ferrule. I WANT TO END UP WITH A CLEAN AND SMOOTH FERRULE.

Here are 3 forum threads that should answer any questions that you may have.

please help.... stuck ferrules

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/1183

Stuck Ferrule

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/showthread.php/stuck_ferrule-18961/index.html

Bamboo Rod Do's and Don'ts

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6304&st=0

carp-starter

A friend of mine showed me that trick one day. The problem was that when he demonstrated the move, he was standing at an angle such that it looked like he just shoved the end up his nose and twisted with enthusiasm. My only thought was "eeewwww!' and I tried to remember if he'd borrowed any rods from me lately. <_<

JF

Eeewwwwww! Now that's just gross and a half.. shnaws berries work just as well too I hear!

HD