Where Can I Buy a Magnifier Glass

carp-starter

I need help from you guys as to where I can buy a magnifier glass that I could use for fly tying.

I want one with a base and with a flex arm. I do not have a place on my desk to use the “clamp” type. I would like the flex arm to be a minimum of 12 inches long but I would prefer one that is 16 inches minimum. I am not looking for one that is part of a lamp system - I already have 3 excellent lights from OTT-LITE that produce natural light.

I would prefer to buy it from within Canada but I can be convinced to buy it from the USA. I live in Oakville and so buying one locally (or close to being local) would be best.

I do not want the type that has to be attached to my vice.

I know of a place that sells one – Lee Valley in Burlington. It might satisfy my requirements. The flex arm is only 12 inches long but it might be OK – I will have to check it out in person. BPS also sells one that is similar (also 12”) and cheaper by 2/3 to the one from Lee Valley.

So, if anyone knows where a magnifier glass with a base and a flex arm can be bought, please lead me in the right direction.

I thank everyone in advance.

carp-starter

This one is from Lee Valley – arm is only 12 inches.

LeeValleyFlexMag.jpg

you can also get head mounted magnifiers that flip up out of the way, even with lights on then. Electronics technicians use them for servicing circuit boards.

Where to get one????????

I think a guy I know bought one at The Source, but not sure.

Really good deals at the electronics stores at Matheson west of Dixie on the north side. Sayal Electronics has ones with arms and alligator clips for $8. And a couple of them have the one you clamp on to a table with a flourescent circle light for about $30. Usually the lighted ones sell for about $90 in most places. There are about 4 different stores there.

Also any Princess Auto.

Hang on....I have a simple solution. Instead of a magnifying glass on a stand I went to the pharmacy and bought 2 different pairs of magnifying "glasses" to wear right off the shelf. There is no glass to get in the way of the vise and with different strenghths, it is easy to change depending on the difficulty level.

It works for me. :)

Pam

Thank you everyone for suggestions. I will check them out. I have already checked out Princess Auto web site about a month ago but I gave up. They use pdf files and I cannot stand pdf files.

Pam, your suggestion would be perfect but I have side effects using those magnifier glasses. I get dizzy and I get a headache. I wear glasses and these do the same unless I use them at about 1 ½ feet from my eye balls – mine are just for reading at the 18 to 20 inches in front of me. At my age, my eyes are not like they used to be at the age of 20 and I do need some magnification to tie the dry flies..

Here are some PICS of what I plan to tie once I get a magnifier glass – tie some small flies. The PICS are not mine. Normally I tie dry flies in sizes #14 to #24. I have tied and used some #26.

This hook is probably #30 or #32

HookSize.jpg

Some flies when compare to an American penny

FlySize.jpg

Size #30 parachute at the end of a finger

FlySize30.jpg

Size #32 Bunny – a midge

FlySize32Bunny.jpg

If anyone wants any info about fly fishing or fly tying, just contact me. Believe me, in the winter fly tying is a lot more enjoyable than to watch the 1967 Stanley Cup winners every Saturday..

Thanks for your info guys.

carp-starter