Atv Cost ~ Feel Cheated Yet? Knowledge Rant(nf)

LeXXington

Hi All:

Like many people I try to buy local when purchasing stuff, yes it may be made else where but hey what does it cost to drive around or the duty to get stuff here.

So I was looking for a small ATV.. checked out the clones but still not too sure on the quality then I check out the major brands...

Then out of shear curiosity I look for the cost of the same unit in the USA..

Not including taxes this is the same machine,

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/produc...up=A#contentTop

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/produc...33/0/specs.aspx

Give an above average exchange rate of 30%...feel like we're getting hosed

I have sent a letter to Yamaha asking what the difference is this should be intresting ;) if they reply at all.

Other manufactors are no differet but keep this in mind if you thinking about a new one..

Terry's got the nail on the head there Paul...made in Japan and there is an import duty on them, although I'm not sure what it is. Off shore Fishing gear was 4 or 5% if I remember correctly when I looked it up last year. Also the dollar is only about a 15% exchange rate right now so YES no matter what the duty.....you're/we're getting hosed.

Licencing agreements come in to play as well...no different than buying a Shimano reel in the USA or Canada. TE400/401 = $359 US but $525/550 or so in Canada because they have to go thru Shimano Canada to add another player before they hit the store shelves.

Hi All:

Checked with Yamaha USA, LOL there are 2 types of serial numbers.

if it starts with a "J" its made in JAPAN

if it starts with a "S" made in the USA - no duty. just 6% GST

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/eservices/bis/bis37-e.html

There is a 206.00CDN charge and you need to notify customs 72 hours in advance.

have Bill of Sale and a title paper.

It also needs an off road sticker?? have to find out what this is???

Other than that home free.

1 hour drive, $1000.00 savings.. Well you know where I am heading.. BOOOOOOOO on Yamaha..

I am glad to see that you found a way to get the 4 wheeler that you want and save a few bucks too. Its kind of funny too some items from the USA are cheaper to buy before I come up North and some items are cheaper to get AFTER I get up North. I have also found that depending on were you live in the USA the prices can fluxuate from state to state. Go figure I guess it proves that getting all of the information on an item before you buy pays off in the long run.

Art

Lex. Just out of curosity, you might want to check were you would have to get warranty work done. Some manufactures might not transfer warranty registration, and some Canadian dealers don't wish to work on a out f country purchase, I live close to upper Michigan and it has been a problem with some buyers . Murray

To give a fair and valid responce here is the e-mail I received back from Yamaha.

granted they have vaild points but I do not think there is that much of a difference

thanks to Yamaha for responding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon:

It is impossible to simply answer this type of inquiry regarding

pricing

between US and Canadian products.

There are many variables and fluctuations and the exchange rate today

is

not necessarily the rate fixed when the prices were initially

negotiated.

Different import expenditures, volume purchasing (300 million vs. 32

million), and different associated costs of operating in Canada vs. the

USA. Such dilemmas are shared by Yamaha and other importers and

manufacturers.

I regret you feel compelled to shop in the USA, however, please take

into

consideration importation regulations/costs and understand that foreign

units imported into Canada do not have warranty outside of the country

of

origin (i.e. all warranty work will need to be performed at US

dealerships

in this case). Many European consumers consider the prices of units

sold in

Canada to be very reasonable. I personally believe our prices fair are

very

compatible with Canadian competitors. I assure you we try and make our

products and accessories as competitive as possible!

Regards,

Scott

To

[email protected]

12/08/2006 11:40

cc

AM

Subject

Website Customer Contact

DAYTIME TELEPHONE NUMBER (EXT):

PRODUCT MODEL: ATV big Bear

VIN NUMBER:

-----------------------------------------------------

QUESTION:

Dear Yamaha Canada.

Like many people I try to buy local when purchasing stuff, yes it may

be

made else where but there is a cost to drive around or the duty to get

stuff shipped here.

I have been looking for a small ATV out of shear curiosity I took look

for

the cost of the same unit in the USA..

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/produc...up=A#contentTop

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/produc...33/0/specs.aspx

Can you please tell me what difference there are in these machines if

any.

With the current $US and the customs fee's provided by

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca the cost saving's over the msrp is still

about

$1000.00CDN. Knowing what the manufacture difference in the machine

could

help me determine if I should buy the unit in Canada or the US.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

If your ATV was made in Japan and is imported by you from the states then duty is 6% plus GST & PST on the Cdn value. So US price $3499 converted at 4:20PM today = $4020 plus 6%= $241.20 =$4261.20 plus Gst (6% on $4020 = $241.20 and 8% PST =$321.60 ) total $4824 assuming you go over to the states and bring it back to Canada. So add in your time and fuel to determine the real savings. Keep in mind that if Yamaha imports they also have to pay a brokerage fee and freight. Do check out where you have to have the service work preformed under the 6 mo. ( both Canada and US ) warranty time. Since this is considered a motor viechle then addational paperwork and/or certificates may be required.

Now if your ATV is of US manufacture then eliminate the 6% duty.

Edited by Garyv

Did some shopping around and found that the best bang for the buck all exchanges and duties figured in was states side....One problem with that though,places like Gander mountain will NOT sell you one unless you have a U.S address. :angry:

On that note Honda U.S.A will not sell you a motorcycle unless you have a U.S addy also . Can't see why as I figured they would welcome the business........go figure. :huh::blink:

yamaha usa will not sell to canadians as well, different warranty policys and such i guess, never really cared about the difference support your local guy, they are more inclined to replair warranty problems when you buy it from them in the first place, usually out of country vehicles are not covered under warranty programs

I ordered a bunch of fishing gear from Cabellas that ended up being cheaper than getting it anywere in Canada and that was after duty/tax/brokerage fees shipping cost ect... still came out cheaper than what I would have payed at BassPro,Lebarrons and I have noticed that for pretty much everything no matter what you get.

There are down sides, warrantee, shipping damage, lost in mail etc... to consider though, and it would be nice to give Canada the business but sometimes it's not worth the extra money.

You can even order directly from china/Japan and it ends up being cheaper than the US but look out for conterfiets and scams. :glare:

Bought a Honda CRV in Texas when I lived there. Brought it to Canada, registered in Ontario poof goes the remainder of the warrantee.

and lets not even mention the extended warrantee that I was stupid enough to buy.

and I had to pay off the bank too