Getting baits down deep

krawler

Past few summers ive been doing a lot of trolling for pike, eyes and musky. i fish a lot of areas that are around 15-35 ft deep. often i will mark fish on bottom but i know for a fact my lures are only running 15ft down. i know the general rule of thumb, let out more line, angle the rod closer to the water. I troll crankbaits most of the time and larger body baits, without running a bigger lure, how can i get the baits to run deeper?? what techniques are used?

thanks

a believer will get down 18' on 85' line out with braid. ernies a little deeper. there are lots of custom bait maker$ that make excellent baits that will dive deeper than 20'. not cheap usually.

another option is to run wire for pike & muskie.

Edited by Raf

You could run lead core line, in-line sinkers, or snap on weights. If you troll on a regular basis then you should buy the book, Precision Trolling. It gives valueable info on how deep lures dive based on the amount of line let out, etc. It costs about $30 US but it's worth it.

http://www.precisionangling.com/

Edited by Zib

Snap Weights, keel weights, 3-way rigs, etc are a cheap solution.

Like Tony says Snap weights or clip weights they work well on mono if you use braid you would have to make a wrap around as they don't hold well on braid.Some of the lures shown will dive down deep.Yozuri hydro minnows,manns 20 's and 30's,Rapala deep diving Tail Dancers and reef runners.The snap weights are in the pics.

131465.JPG

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike