My Quest continues at Pigeon Lake this weekend

Hey folks.

I'm heading up to Pigeon Lake this weekend. Managed to find a place to rent me a 14ft boat with 15hp motor - Pigeon Lake Resort near Noogies Creek. The plan is to fish for walleye and musky as I've not caught either before (plus whatever else is biting). Not necessarily after a trophy just a chance to add them to my list. Have a few questions....

On a lake like Pigeon what kind of areas should I target for these species?

What depths should I fish lures at?

What lures/baits should I use?

What other species should I target? (Are there LM or SM Bass or both? Crappies? Any unusual species?)

Any help, however small, is appreciated as I really want to try and catch these two quintessentially Canadian sportfish and add them to this year's quest list as my time in Canada is running out! PM if you prefer.

Thanks.

Hit the deep weed edges for both. Can't go wrong with a spinnerbait for musky( Black and orange has been doing good), and a white power grub, on a 1/4oz green head for the walleyes.

Just find the edge of the weeds and drag that grub, or cast to the edge with the spinners. You'll catch some fish.

Sinker

(the fishes safety and yours)

he ain't kidding. Landing and releasing a musky is not as easy as lipping a bass or grabbing a pike "by the shoulders" to get them in the boat...then once they are in the boat that's another problem all on its own! Get yourself some good equipment for catching (heavy line/leaders) landing (cradle? big net? fearless friend?) and then some tools to properly unhook the fish (ie to cut BIG hooks out)

Thanks for the tips on the walleye. I presume I fish the jigs/grubs close to the bottom - do I tip a curly tail with a worm or leave it as is and should I fish it slowly?

As for the musky - I have some gear that I have used for pike but it is certainly not very heavy gear. I'm talking a 7ft Medium heavy rod with 20lb powerpro and wire leaders. My biggest baits will be mepps #5, blue fox bucktails, xraps/husky jerks, and spinnerbaits. I have some pretty big long nose pliers and a reasonably sized net. Pigeontroller - I would like to catch and release the musky safely both for it and myself! Is that sufficient gear for small muskie?

Kelvin - can't remember which cabin I'm in but will look out for you on Saturday/Sunday.

Edited by OO7

Thanks for the tips on the walleye. I presume I fish the jigs/grubs close to the bottom - do I tip a curly tail with a worm or leave it as is and should I fish it slowly?

Fish the jig right on the bottom. Just drift with it, or drag it just fast enough that the tail is working. You can tip it with a worm, but I never do. Walleyes bite really light, you may think its just weeds. If it feels different, set the hook.

Worm harnesses work good too......rigged on a bottom bouncer. Troll SLOW along weed edges or shoals.

Stick to the deep weed edges and you should catch some walleyes......might get lucky with a musky.

Sinker