Fishing advice

hi09

Hey folks - i actually just picked up a rod for the first time this summer - all this summer i went fishing 7 times and all i caught was 1 small fish.

I have tried a few differnt jig setups and i know what i am doing wrong is my rigging.

I usually go to Binbrook on the mountain in hamilton - once i went to this populate pond out in caledon i think it was called Huffy - aevery one around me was catching but i did not even have a bite...

can any one suggest some web sites were i can learn about proper rigging of the line i.e. where the bobber goes, compared to the weight compared to the hook, i know its preliminary but gotta start somewhere

thanks!!

Welcome to the board Hamilton Lad, lot of info to be garnered here. As for places to look, here's a start... Info You will find lots of articles on how to catch different species of fish.

hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in...but like Glen said, it's good to go with someone who has been fishing for a bit so you might want to try the "hook ups" section of this board.

Maureen

Some species of fish though are much more intolerant of light/heat and dont feed as much usually the "prime" times to fish are at first and last light for a huge variety of fish... But i have caught all sorts of fish mid day and early afternoon... good luck and dont hesitate to ask questions on here as there is a wealth of knowledge...

To tell you the truth me Laddie, since you're just starting out... you'll have much better luck with live bait! Live worms, minnows, and leeches will be the easiest to obtain and use. No self respecting fish can resist an offering of REAL LIVE FOOD!!! If you're fishing bodies of water with high fishing pressure your odds of catching a fish with live bait will go thru the roof compared to artificial.

Well you can try all the creeks:Bronte, 16 mile (oakville) Grindstone, for all sorts of stuff from bass to migratory fish ( salmon, steelies) and carp or suckers too... also I think you can fish in the RBG in burlington bay. You can also cast spoons off the piers now for salmon, which I am leaving for in all of 10 minutes :) Good luck!

Welcome Aboard!

You mentioned hooks and sinkers in relation to bobbers.

Unless your good at sharpening your own hooks, a smart choice are those chemically sharpened or laser sharpened hooks like the Gamakatsu and Laser Sharp brands. These will account for more hooked fish than those regular hooks.

Try and space the split shot as follows:

Starting from the hook end, one tiny BB size about 6" up the line.

Then, another slightly larger split shot 12" up the line

And finally the slightly larger split shot 24" up the line.

Use round split shop without the tabs. The tabbed ones are re-usable but are not as weedless as the round ones.

This set-up will allow you to cast livebait, such as suggested by GreenCoachDog, a good distance with a slipfloat without tangling.

Welcome Aboard!

You mentioned hooks and sinkers in relation to bobbers.

Unless your good at sharpening your own hooks, a smart choice are those chemically sharpened or laser sharpened hooks like the Gamakatsu and Laser Sharp brands. These will account for more hooked fish than those regular hooks.

Try and space the split shot as follows:

Starting from the hook end, one tiny BB size about 6" up the line.

Then, another slightly larger split shot 12" up the line

And finally the slightly larger split shot 24" up the line.

Use round split shop without the tabs. The tabbed ones are re-usable but are not as weedless as the round ones.

This set-up will allow you to cast livebait, such as suggested by GreenCoachDog, a good distance with a slipfloat without tangling.

just tried that in my back yard!!! pretty sweet i like it im going this sunday will try in real life there

Alright there I PMed you with as much info as I think you need (directions, techniques bait) pm me if ya have any other questions. I will check out my schedule and we can hook-up one day...

awesome thanks alot man appreciate tht!! hey have you ever been to shade mills park cambridge i heard its good?

errrrr man another day with no luck - went to binbrook - at one point i was using a slip shot free on the line with a small slip at about 12 inch before the hook + a spinner worm harness with plastic worm - KEPT getting it stuck in the rocks! i probably lost about 15 bucks worth of tackle today - any advise with fishing in rocks?

at one point as i was realing in - i think it was a bass,chaed my lure it as it came closer to the shore but then just ran away, i think i realed in too quick - if i had was a bit slower would of got em!!! errrr atleast i got the fresh air...

On the rocks:

Option # 1

Buy a bobber and some worms or minnows. Adjust the bobber so the bait is off the bottom...sit and wait.

Option #2

1: Go to Fishing World on Barton Street or Pro Gear on Upper Gage or Upper Ottawa (I can never remember which one it is) and buy a bag of Senko type worms...ask the guy at the store, he'll know what you want. You might like to start with 4 inch worms, but 6 inch are fine too. Try Carolina Pumpkin with a Chartreuse tail, or Watermelon with Red Flecks, or something that the store recommends. Binbrook used to be pretty muddy, if it still is, a bright colour wouldn't be out of place.

2: Buy a package of quality 3/0 wide gap hooks...If your not sure what that is, ask the guy at the store.

3: Get the guy at the store to show you how to hook the worms weedless. (AKA Tex-exposed)

4: Get him to show you how to hook them through the middle, Wacky-Worm style.

5: Cut off all swivels, split-shot etc. from your line...You don't want anything on the line except the hook and the worm.

6: Cast out and let it sink...and sink... and sink.

7: Watch your line...If it starts to move on it's own...set the hook!

8: If nothing happens, and you think you're on the bottom, lift the rod tip, twitch and crank, slowly until the bait is retrieved. Don't be afraid to stop and let the Wacky style worm sink again after a couple of twitches. On the retrieve you want the Tex-exposed worm to walk-the-dog...If your not sure what that is, ask the guy in the store to explain.

Garry2R's

Welcome Hamilton Lad,

If you have a couple of lures you can cast and a fairly heavy rod head down to the Pier under the skyway... cast away and watch what other people are using and their techniques...Talk to everyone you can as this is the best way to learn, and you may even manage to catch yourself a salmon.

Cheers

Jen

Hi Hamilton Lad, Try your luck at Pier4/Bayfront park. If you are in the lower city it should be easy for you to get to. Another choice spot is LaSalle Park dock in Burlington. I don't think you will find much in Binbrook other than crappie, and don't use minnows in there as it is not allowed.

If it easy for you to get down to the canal lift bridge give that a try too, or Bronte.

Bronte directions:

Take the QEW Toronto and exit Bronte Rd. and take it South towards the lake. If you turn right at Lakeshore Rd., cross the bridge and take your first left then follow the road on the left along the harbour to the parking lot.

Or just stay on Bronte Rd. to the very end where there is street side parking and fish from the east pier. Most people fish the west pier though.

Happy fishing and tell us how your experiences are. :Gonefishing:

On the rocks:

Option # 1

Buy a bobber and some worms or minnows. Adjust the bobber so the bait is off the bottom...sit and wait.

Option #2

1: Go to Fishing World on Barton Street or Pro Gear on Upper Gage or Upper Ottawa (I can never remember which one it is) and buy a bag of Senko type worms...ask the guy at the store, he'll know what you want. You might like to start with 4 inch worms, but 6 inch are fine too. Try Carolina Pumpkin with a Chartreuse tail, or Watermelon with Red Flecks, or something that the store recommends. Binbrook used to be pretty muddy, if it still is, a bright colour wouldn't be out of place.

2: Buy a package of quality 3/0 wide gap hooks...If your not sure what that is, ask the guy at the store.

3: Get the guy at the store to show you how to hook the worms weedless. (AKA Tex-exposed)

4: Get him to show you how to hook them through the middle, Wacky-Worm style.

5: Cut off all swivels, split-shot etc. from your line...You don't want anything on the line except the hook and the worm.

6: Cast out and let it sink...and sink... and sink.

7: Watch your line...If it starts to move on it's own...set the hook!

8: If nothing happens, and you think you're on the bottom, lift the rod tip, twitch and crank, slowly until the bait is retrieved. Don't be afraid to stop and let the Wacky style worm sink again after a couple of twitches. On the retrieve you want the Tex-exposed worm to walk-the-dog...If your not sure what that is, ask the guy in the store to explain.

Garry2R's

hey thanks!i just started a new topic about rock fishing - but did not even noticed you gave me all this info i will defo try it - i am planning on heading to Shady Mills in cambridge this weekend....

I don't think you will find much in Binbrook other than crappie, and don't use minnows in there as it is not allowed.

Are you sure minnows aren't allowed?

I was at fishing world one day told they guy i was heading to binbrook and he told me to use a microtube and minnow under a slipfoat...