Lake Couchiching - Sunday report

tinbanger

Pikeie got to chose our destination on sunday ( with 1 hour drive as we only had the morning free) and we ended up a Chouch.

Having fished there only once or twice we wern't sure what to expect.

Launched out of Orillia around 7 am and once on the water soon realized there must be a tourney on as there were numerous bass boats around.

Picked a likely looking weed bed and soon were on the fish ... perch that is . Good warmup I guess .

Moved further north with more of the same with a couple of small bass added.

Tried the mouth of the Severn with no luck .

We decided to move a bit further south to an area were we had seen several of the bass boat guys working .Good looking area and we soon spotted some fish .

White spinner bait produced the only fish of size a nice 4 lb plus bass.Hit hard in 6 FOW .I'll add photo later as its on pikeies cell

While we were busy looking for a match to that fish an approaching helicopter caught our attention , it swung low over the water and we noticed what appeared to be a camera mounted on the front . Coming directly towards it form the north end of thh lake was a big bass boat flat out .figured they must be filming a promotioanl ad or something . Too far to see the logo on the boat .

Shortly after noon we decided to head back to the launch and as we were passing thru the Narrows we spotted Misfish and Terry out for a fish ..thought you guys didn't fish past noon ?

Observation ... the bass boat guys do not appear to be the most friendly bunch ( Misfish and Terry excluded ) Is it that they are ' working hard ' or is it kinda like Harley riders that do not wave a those riding Rice Rockets , or maybe it me ?

Good day on the water , no rain , some fish and good times

TB

Guest Johnny Bass

It must suck to fish a lake with a tournamnet going on it. I'm sure it would be interesting to bring out the binoculars though.lol I actually know guys that do this!

TB,Nice ride and thats the first time I had a few fellas yell out my name.LOL

Good seeing you guys again.

I'm sure it would be interesting to bring out the binoculars though.lol I actually know guys that do this!

I believe these type of guys are called "SPOT STEALERS".You know,the ones that cant fish or know how too or are to lazy to find thier own spots..

Sorry, had to say something about that comment.

Guest Johnny Bass
TB,Nice ride and thats the first time I had a few fellas yell out my name.LOL

Good seeing you guys again.

I believe these type of guys are called "SPOT STEALERS".You know,the ones that cant fish or know how too or are to lazy to find thier own spots..

Sorry, had to say something about that comment.

No need to apologize. I agree with you on that one. I think they do it more to see what they are using to catch them, than spot stealing though it could be both.

Anyways back to the post. Good to see lake Couch is still producing some nice fish!

Have always avoiding lakes with Tourneys ( either by luck or prior knowledge) we were a little worried when we saw all the boats but didn't seem to make a difference .Most of them were quietly working araes of the lake not blasting from spot to spot . The ones near us seemed to have about the same luck .

Couch is big enough that we had lost of room .

TB

I really don't think it's fair to call all bassboat guys unfreindly, I have had several occurances where weekend anglers move right in and pretty much anchor 10 feet in front of me cause I've landed a fish, yet I don;t generalize . what has to be understood, is that in a tourney, a lot of $$$ has been invested , and it can be a very stressful hobby, so guys who have put $300.00 in entries, and a couple hundred in gas may not really be interested in a freindly afternoon chat. however after the event or during practice, most guys will gladly help you out or answer questions, the concentration levels in a tournament anglers day, have to be high to be successful. I think we get a bit of a bad rap on this board-I personally am freindly with other anglers, and am quite happy to help out whether fellow competitors or recreational anglers. Come out and talk to us at fishing shows and you may be pleasantly surprised at how freindly and helpful we may be. we are no different than you-we love to fish. Mark