Buck Tails

Daplumma

Art and I help my buddy process deer and we can get more than a few bucktails if anyone wants them for lure making.Two catches...

1.The hydes are salted down but the tails need some other stuff done to them after I cut them from the hydes.What is the best way to prepare them and trabsport them?

2.We will be bringing them to the June GTG I need to know Who and how many.Just let me know..

Joe

The best way I have done is by slicing the skin, the same way as field dressing. Go through the white portion of the hair. Remove bone and if possible, scrape what fat you can out of the skin. Rub a generous amount of Pickling Salt into the skin and this will form a "hide". Try to avoid a plastic bag as the moisture won't escape out of the skin. Scraping the fat out of the tail is the most crucial.

Second way is like some the True "Northerners" do it. Stretch it on a board. Let it stand in the Sun for a month or 2 and then chew on it to soften it up. You can try it this way but I prefer doing it the first way. :D