Whirlpool Carping - Sept 2

MJL

I decided last week that I would try my hand at carping the Niagara whirlpool. I’ve never been down there before and I was dying to try it out. I found very little information on the quality of carp fishing or the conditions to expect other than the fact that there was a lot current and lots of snags. All the reports stated “Some of the strongest fighting fish you’ll ever catch”…That was the bit that convinced me to go.

The reports also said that it required a 20min hike down a steep hill to get to the bottom...To any normal (or sane) person, that means pack light and split the load with someone else. Unfortunately in my case, I couldn’t find another person willing to carry a few small buckets of bait down a hill. My family interested in crossing the border on a shopping excursion, would drop me off at the path and pick me up at a designated time…Whatever I would need for the day; I would have to carry down with me…No car to stash my stuff in.

Not knowing what the conditions were like down at the whirlpool, I decided to pack like I do on every scouting mission…Pack for all conditions :D

Beyond some of the main terminal tackle that I use (hooks, swivels, hook-link material, leads, etc), and my rod and reel, I decided that I would bring

- My rod pod (front legs swapped for long banksticks)

- Spare carp rod (In the event my main rod broke)

- Net

- A few ice cream buckets worth of bait

- Spare camera

- A headlamp (In the event that I’m still fishing when it gets dark)

- Food + snacks

- Water (And lots of it)

On the bathroom scale my hiking pack fully loaded weighed 42lbs…My consolation was the fact that it would be lighter on the way back up.

Sunday

We toured around the Niagara parkway looking for the access point to go down. To be honest, I still don’t know where I descended down the gorge with respect to the Google Satellite map. Not knowing where exactly I had to go, my dad found an opening in a fence with a path and we proceeded.

Being of the cautious type I suggested that I leave my gear in the car and scout it first, coming back to the car when we found the stairs. My dad being the practical type told me to take the gear with me…And so I took it with me….Thank you dad for leading me around a bunch of campsites for 10 minutes with a heavy pack strapped to my back…The set of stairs turned out to be 100 metres to the right of that opening.

Once on the stairs, my family left for the border and I was on my own. It certainly was an exciting climb down with all the gear. The legs were slightly burning at the halfway point

20070902021.jpg

The path

20070902022.jpg

But at the end, the view was spectacular

20070902023.jpg

20070902024.jpg

I found a spot which looked promising – It was more of a gut feeling – and I set up my gear.

Pod with rod tips pointing skyward. The heavy current and the weeds + other junk floating downriver made it hard to fish any other way. I never even used the back rests on the pod because the angle wasn’t high enough. I rested the butt of the rod on the floor and put my rod on the alarm – I also never used the swinger. A good baitrunner or an extremely good drag (set medium light) is a must with this type of fishing.

20070902033.jpg

Initially I rigged up with a 3oz inline carp lead and on my first cast, I snagged up in some rocks…The sinker must have drifted 20-30 or so feet from where it entered the water from...I lost it. I re-rigged with a 4oz torpedo shaped swivel weight/lead clip combo and cast it out (If there’s enough interest, I might post up a pic of the rig I was using) …It clung onto the bottom but barely…It’s probably not the type of lead you would want to use in current but that’s all I had to work with. Ideally, a 6oz flat lead would’ve been perfect IMO.

Within 20 minutes after re-rigging, I’m into a fish. After another 15 minutes of tug-o-war, I bank my first fish around 16lbs or so.

20070902025.jpg

The count when noon hit was 6 fish from 7 to 16lbs. After that everything just shut down for the next hour and a half.

A couple random pics I took when I got a little bored

The cable car that runs across the whirlpool

20070902052.jpg

Mr. Boillie is happy to see you

20070902037.jpg

At around 1:30 pm, the action started up again.

Leaning into one

20070902039.jpg

This one finally comes to net after peeling around 140ft of line on 3 of his runs

20070902045.jpg

Landed

20070902048-1.jpg

One fish decided that the pineapple flavoured jumbo corn that I brought was irresistible. This fish made a dozen mind blowing runs before being winched back

It turns out to be the biggest fish of the day weighing in at 24lbs 4oz

20070902034-1.jpg

I ended the day at 5pm and made my way up the hill with about 30-35lbs of gear – I used up all the maize, method mix and drank most the water that I brought up with me. I think the heaviest items were the pod and all of its components + the bunch of leads I thought I was going to lose during the trip – I only lost 1 all day so I guess I’m happy I don’t have to buy more…I can't say the same about my back, legs and @$$.

All together I managed to go 12/12 on the whirlpool carp. They took a variety of baits including, maize, rubber corn, jumbo corn and boillies rigged on a hair rig. These carp seem like a different breed of fish which have evolved particularly to the Niagara whirlpool. They have quite hard lips and unlike most river fish, these fish had quite small tails for their size. The other fins however (Pectoral, dorsal, anal and pelvic), seemed quite oversized – Perhaps they’re better at probing the bottom in high current VS roaming nomadically. As far as the notion of being the hardest fighting fish in Ontario goes, they’re up there in terms of their bull-dogging and never quit attitude (Maybe their oversized fins have something to do with it). Only a couple of fish displayed the high octane runs that I was hoping for but I was still quite satisfied with each fish that took my bait – The average fight was about 10-15min of shoulder straining fun.

Would I go back…Yes in a heartbeat…After I’m able to feel my legs again.

yep you found the right trail and the best spot for carp...congrats on the Carp. Pretty soon I will be making my daily trek down for the salmon run. I have also gone carping in the Niagara and in some spots they get twice that size....wait till you hook into a 30 pounder. Congrats again and nice pics....you take it for granted when you live close to the whirlpool but when you see pics of it its a like a whole new world.

Nice carp...awesome report of a place that one always hears about but few go too. Thanks for sharing.

It's a beautiful trail but there are sections that are quite steep and rugged. Good hiking shoes are a must. It was so peaceful as you walk under the completely treed canopy covering the trail. The only complaint I have are the noisy helicopters that totally spoils the experience of the nice walk.

I didn't fish but opted to go shopping on both sides of the border since MJL cautioned that I was too old and out of shape to be able to go up and down the Gorge. As it turned out, I went down and back up twice (but without any load).

Awesome report! So, if you were there alone, who took the pics of you fighting your fish?? haha. I'm assuming your dad came back down. Great job out there in new waters. You had to work hard to get there and overcome some adverse conditions, but your persistence, knowledge of fishing and determination got you into some fish and you had a great day!

Awesome report! So, if you were there alone, who took the pics of you fighting your fish?? haha.

There were a few people down in the whirlpool who passed by and took a few pics for me. The others I did survivorman style by setting it on a large rock or my bait bucket and using the timer.

Wow - another great carping report from what is probably the last place I would have thought of for carp fishing. Nice to know the salmon n trout don't have the river all to themselves! :lol:

Looking forward to the next report Mike - still time for a few more carp this year?!.

• 2 weeks later...