Killarney Provincial Park Camping this weekend

Hi everyone,

I am going camping again this weekend - last one of the year and probably my last ever camping trip in Canada (if my wife has anything to say about it!). We are heading up to Killarney Provincial Park. We picked the park because of its scenery and natural beauty so we can enjoy hiking and my passion for photography. Now I have heard that some of the lakes are not to be fished as they are sancturies for fish to recover following years of acid rain pollution. But can anyone tell me if there is any fishing at all in the park? Can I fish in George Lake (where the main campground is)? Also is there any good fishing (from shore) nearby outside of the park? Just don't know whether to take my fishing gear or not.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by OO7

Killarney is gods country for sure... http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/kill-multiple.html there are some fishing opportunities to be had there though... you can also head into the town of killarney and rent a boat and fish G-Bay...(10 minute car ride) if your so inclined...I say take the fishing gear!...

let me tell you though... once you turn off 69... the drive seems to take forever!!!!!!!!

Have fun brother... man I am jealous!

I hope to get back up there this year...

Gerritt.

Thanks Gerritt. I did wonder about G-Bay -very tempting - but I'm guessing we will spend most of the time exploring the park on foot or canoe but there is always time for a few hours fishing if I am permitted to in the park's lakes. ;)

I don't suppose you or anyone else know if there is any fishing in the lakes near the main camping area of George Lake - what fish would be in there? I will try to check the regs for any clues but seeing as I don't know the area it probably won't be easy to work out where I can and can't fish. Hopefully if I do take the rods there will be a bit more in the way of info at the park but wondered if anybody had first hand experience fo fishing in the park.

Cant help you there sorry... as I have never stayed in the park... Only on my bosses Island... we docked in Killarney and hit the LCBO in Killarney.. But I fished G-Bay.. I hope you find the answers your looking for... They state they have lakes that are fishable... why not give it a shot... you have nothing to loose..

Good Luck and take PICTURES! LOL..

Gerritt.

Take the rods, but leave your serious catching expectations at home!LOL Definately bring them, however I'd be very sure that I connected with the park authorities before I wet a line!

As Gerritt mentioned, it is some of the most beautiful country in this province, but the park lakes offer very little in shore fishing/boat fishing opportunities.

HH

PS... there are rumours of Musky that frequent the main channel in Killarney!

PSS... you really can't say you've done Killarney until you visit the fish n chips truck, right at the end of the highway, beside the government dock! Mmmmmm... perch! :thumbsup_anim:

I've never been up there but my friends and I were thinking about it. I e-mailed the people at the park about the fishing and their reply:

Greetings from Killarney Park. For good fishing, I would recommend

canoeing on Johnnie, Bell, Balsam and Fox lakes. They are located on the

east side of the park. All of these lakes have good bass and pike

fishing.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Kris

Friends of Killarney Park

Killarney Provincial Park

Killarney, Ontario

P0M 2A0

Phone - (705) 287-2800

Fax - (705)287-2893

Visit us at www.friendsofkillarneypark.ca

Thanks for the info MJL - will try to find those lakes on a map when I get there.

HH - thanks for the fish n chips tip - will definitely give that a go instead of cooking on the stove one night!