Weekend at Sandy Lake

highdrifter

Hi gang,

Managed some time out on the water at a friend's cottage this past weekend. I'm fortunate enough to know a priviledged few who's parents trust us enough to make use of these incredible summer facilities, provided we do a little yard work hahah.

Shot up to Steve's cottage right after work on Saturday just in time to string up and hit last light on the water. Top water was all I could think of, but it turns out that subsurface was the way to go.

Here's Peter with a beauty pulled right in front of the cottage on a silver Rattlin Rap.

med_gallery_439_348_128893.jpg

Got up early the next morning for a covert bass operation with the canoe.. Call it also a chance to repent my sins from the night before and catch some rays as well and take in the stillness of the place before it would stir with cottagers. Most times I'm by myself, but this time I was accompanied by a most unexpected new fishing partner, Taylor. :whistling:

Here she is with the first walleye of the day.

med_gallery_439_348_93511.jpg

Here's your's truly with another. I'm surprised they were hitting in such clear water during mid day. They did seem to like the tubes though.

med_gallery_439_348_43375.jpg

first smallie, just before the release. One can see the intense shade of blue for this lake. Google earth it and the hue totally stands out. Couldn't get the money shot for this one unfortunately.

med_gallery_439_348_52869.jpg

Taylor got the second one. She was surprisinbly adept at working the tubes and wasn't even a tad squirmish.. She's all smiles in this one.. :thumbsup_anim:

med_gallery_439_348_12582.jpg

Kept the walleye and one deep hooked bass for super. Both had clean, firm flesh.. Cooked them both together and you couldn't tell the difference!

Couldn't let this one pass. Found Mike on the rock when we got back... I says he was exfoliating.. I have my doubts hahah

med_gallery_439_348_44501.jpg

cheers everybody

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice! Tubes work great for pickeral.I haven't caught a pickeral in awhile. Thats one cute fishin partner. I like her hat.lol

Edited by Johnny Bass

Up near Buckhorn, the lake sits in the middle between Pigeon lake, the Balds, and Upper Buckhorn. Spring fed, it drains through Sandy Creek into Upper Buckhorn.

We wanted to fish it for a day last fall, but found the only accessable launch wanted $20 for the day...we went to Lovesick instead for $2 parking. That same property is now for sale and I think they have closed their ramp. At one other lodge, I was told by the owner that his ramp was for guests and property owners only.

If anyone knows how to get on this lake, send me a PM. I live only 10 minutes away and would love to give it a shot for some smallie action sometime.

Up near Buckhorn, the lake sits in the middle between Pigeon lake, the Balds, and Upper Buckhorn. Spring fed, it drains through Sandy Creek into Upper Buckhorn.

We wanted to fish it for a day last fall, but found the only accessable launch wanted $20 for the day...we went to Lovesick instead for $2 parking. That same property is now for sale and I think they have closed their ramp. At one other lodge, I was told by the owner that his ramp was for guests and property owners only.

If anyone knows how to get on this lake, send me a PM. I live only 10 minutes away and would love to give it a shot for some smallie action sometime.

Hey Jer,

Isn't there public access at the south end of the lake? I don't remember seeing a launch, but I"m sure you could get a canoe through there. It's small enough to cover with an oar, and there's several reefs that produce not far from there!

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter