Rideau River Bassin' - July 21

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Spent the last two days of my holidays down at my folk's place just south of Ottawa. Hit the Rideau River for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon to gusting winds, cool temperatures and only one largie to show for our efforts.

Headed out late this morning to try to redeem ourselves...

The temps. were warm and the winds were down, but the fish still didn't seem to want to play. Worked a bunch of new areas that had excellent slop, undercuts and pads. We connected with a couple of small fish, but the miles that we covered left us scratching our heads.

I began to think that the cold days and nights of the last week had shut the fish down, or driven them to deeper water...

Here is a decent fish that was hiding under some shoreline slop, situated in 2-feet of water..

July213.jpg

Headed to the back of a new bay I had never fished before. The shoreline was sporting some nice shade, deep water and overhanging trees. One flip of the jig and the fight was on! She was long and lean - can't wait to see her put the feedbag on come fall.

A nice 3lb 13oz largie..

July215.jpg

July211.jpg

The release shot..

July212.jpg

Some action shots of the areas we covered..

July214.jpg

July216.jpg

July217.jpg

My Dad lost a nice largie after a brief tussle, and only brought a small pike into the boat. I ended up with 7 largies and 2 pike. Not a banner day for this stretch of the river, but the 3-13 is a good fish to come out of this area...

Was certainly a fun day spent with Dad.

Until next time..good fishing!

Justin

I loved those shots of the slop Justin. It brings back some memories of throwing topwaters like the Scum Frog and waiting for those brutes to burst through the pads. I haven't done much of that since I started downrigging. Sure miss it though.

Great report .. thanks.

Guest Johnny Bass

I agree. I usually work that stuff with plastics. Maybe I will give the jig and pig a try. Anyways, great report. Too bad you fish alone most of the time. Would be nice to see some video!

Sounds good to me Justin. As much as I like the 'Big Boys' (salmon, bows and stripers), I do miss the largemouth whacking the top water. It just gets the adrenalin pumping.

I have to ask .... how long is the rod in the last pic?

Lew ... if you read this, notice I didn't say muskies. LOL