Recommendation for older Johnson outboard servicing?

ilario

Hi folks,

Some of you may have followed my recent previous thread on a 28HP Johnson I purchased. Misfish (Brian) recommended a fellow in Barrie who specializes in older OMC products but I found out today that it'll be a few weeks before he can look at it since he's going into surgery.

I was told it's a 1962 model. I haven't even attempted to start it. I did drain the lower unit and the oil was dark but no water or orther odd discolouration. It came with controls and I beleive it's also a manual start. It lacks a handle but I want to use it as a tiller and I believe this can be done. It has a small lever that appears to act as a throttle (slow, start, fast).

A guy who has serivced other motors for me in the past (in north York) isn't interested in touching it - says the motor isn't wortth it!!

I'd like a recommendation for a good, HONEST mechanic not too far from the GTA. I'd be willing to travel a little...

Thanks in advance

He are a couple of pics of the motor:

leftcoveredwithcontrols.JPG

manualspeedcontrol.JPG

Perhaps Big Cliff would be willing to lend a hand?? He is a great guy and handy to boot!

Only other people I would recommend would be the folks @ Giesler Marine. but a bit out of your way... but well worth the drive.

Not much help... but could be a great starting point!

Gerritt.

That motor is heavy, but its still comparable to todays motors of that size. Its about 120lbs, which is about the same as my 1988 30 hp. It outputs about 25 hp at the prop and is rated to push up to 43 kmh/26 mph.

Try starting it in a barrel. Its only been two years so it might start right up. Replace the impeller - its easy to do. Most places won't touch outboards over 20 years old. If you can't get it to start then take it in for service if you can find a place. Drop me a line if you have any questions. I collect and service my own 1950's OMC's. You can see a few of them in my profile pricture.

Edited by boatman

While I'd be happy to help, outboards are a whole different ball of wax from what I am set up to handle right now. If it isn't air cooled OR under 15 HP and a simple problem I probably can't do much to help with it at the moment anyway.

I think that I mentioned this point before but in my opinion the engine isnt worth fixing up unless you want a collectors item. They are especially hard on fuel, not environmentally friendly, most were difficult to rope start and the used parts you may locate to turn it into a tiller will likely be well worn. There is a reason some mechanics dont want to touch them. They can consume time that most honest techs dont have the heart to charge you for and being old there is always something else to break. Do you really want to take the chance that it will restart if you are out in the middle of the lake? Just an opinion from a guy thats used them in the past.

As for part sources don't overlook your local UAP/NAPA dealer. They list quite a few parts for your motor. Ask to see the marine products catalogue.

If you can get a repair manual you should be able to do most of the repairs yourself. I have a Seloc manual which covers my motor ( 1967, 40 hp. Johnson ) & yours, and it has been quite helpful.

Best Wishes: Rick

Edited by Woodsman

I think that I mentioned this point before but in my opinion the engine isnt worth fixing up unless you want a collectors item. They are especially hard on fuel, not environmentally friendly, most were difficult to rope start and the used parts you may locate to turn it into a tiller will likely be well worn. There is a reason some mechanics dont want to touch them. They can consume time that most honest techs dont have the heart to charge you for and being old there is always something else to break. Do you really want to take the chance that it will restart if you are out in the middle of the lake? Just an opinion from a guy thats used them in the past.

I am currently running an older Evinrude fastwin which has been an extremly reliable motor... it's starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time...

older motors can run perfectly well... if it doesn;t work out, I'll sell it - can't go wrong since i got it for very little...