Lake Scugog Canoe Report - Sunday Aug 19th

ccmtcanada

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for canoe friendly waters! After preparing on Saturday, we had the car pretty much packed and ready to go for first thing Sunday morning. Bly and I were up at 7am, and we woke our 5 year old up at 730. We hit McDonalds at 8am for some Egg McMuffin breakfast combos and we headed up to Lake Scugog. We got there, set up the canoe, and launched at around 9am.

The waters there were very shallow and weedy...go figure...it IS called the bog for a reason. We were having a hard time finding some fishable areas where our little one could catch some panfish and we could cast some topwaters and target bass. We finally found a little spot and our 5 year old landed the first fish...a little perch, but she was thrilled!!

sydperch.jpg

A little while later, using a 3" tube, I saw this guy follow right up to the canoe and then take the bait!! This is the biggest perch I've ever caught...a nice 12" one.

cliffperch.jpg

I then switched up to a topwater frog to try my luck. After about a hundred casts, I saw this guy snatch up my bait! He put up a pretty good fight, getting tangled in weeds, but my 30lb power pro cut through them with no problems. This guy measured in at 17" and 2lbs 11 ounces.

cliffbass-1.jpg

We had our lunch around noon and the little one started to get a little restless (no surprise here!), so we decided to head in at around 1pm. We saw some frogs jumping around when we launched, so as bly and I took care of putting the canoe back on top of the car, my little one looked for frogs. We didn't manage to catch one, but that's ok.

Fellow OFNer, Smokinall4s, PMd me to let me know that he'd be up at Scugog at the docks in the afternoon with his family, so we took a little drive over there and sure enough they were just setting up. Here's a pic of he and his son trying to get some feisty sunfish and perch.

smokinall.jpg

My little one did a good job catching a few panfish...here's her first perch from those docks. It was really important to her that we didn't help her at all...she kept saying "Go over there...I'm ok over here by myself" LOL.

sydperch2-1.jpg

We ended up leaving at around 3pm...it was a great day out there. Temps were a very comfortable 23 degrees...hardly any wind and no humidity.

Bly didn't have a lot of luck out there today, but she's heading out fishing this evening. Anyone want to take her with them?? She really deserves a fish today!! LOL.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Nice report Cliff. The gog can be weedy and a pain sometimes, but it does produce. Keep at it.

Joey

Thanks Joey...we knew we were in for weeds....but they were crazy...esp since we were fishing in water that was less than 3 feet deep.

Glad to see you got out. You seemed to be about the same as I do during the day there - nice fish but a bit far inbetween (at least for me, I'm sure others slay during the day, I'm more of an evening guy when it comes to that lake).

NICE!! We were up in Bobcaygeon yesterday fishing a few spots. My little one with her DORA the Explorer rod had the hot stick. I think that rod pulled in about a good dozen rock bass, sunfish and a tiny perch. With my other setup we got about 6 or 7 fish including a feisty 1lb smallie that was pretty hungry (remember, we were using a 1/3rd of a worm on tiny hooks with a split shot and a bobber). Dear old dad got to unhook everything and I spent the afternoon tying on hooks and setting up the rods, putting on worms and helping my daughter reel in the fish.

Awesome to see that you are having a blast with the family! The waters couldn't have offered better conditions on Sunday with the calm waters and hot sun. Scugog must have been pleasant to paddle. Take advantage while the summer still lasts! Loved your video btw. So impressive and very technical. Canada's Got Talent! It's been a while since I have been on ... I must have missed so much.