Anyone Ever Brought A Boat From Ebay? Nf

nautifish

Just curious if anyone has ever brought a boat from ebay? If you have what was your experience?

I have been browseing ebay the last week at boats looking to see whats on there and for what price. I noticed alot are south . Not sure what all the paper work would entail.....But is it really worth while to try and buy a boat from the states as aspose to here in canada?

I am looking at getting a bigger boat in the spring.....Nothing to huge as i just sold my larger boat last spring.

Right now i have a 14ft tinny but it is narrow and does not have a deep hull..But i still love her to peieces........

What!!!....I would really like to find is something around the 14 - 16 ft range but with a much deeper hull.........& all geared up for fishing. Not looking for a crusier boat i want a fishing boat! :D

Bought our '99 Tracker Pro V-16 off E-Bay from a guy in Texas. Met him in Branson, MO. Well worth the effort. Definitely the right time of year to buy a boat as well. Identical boats were selling on E-Bay for 30% more the following spring.

PM me for details.

By the way, we'll be selling our boat and trailer soon. Just picked up a 2006 Pro - V 16 (I'll save the details for another post).

Rich i am looking at different options that is why...Blimey you sound like my mother...lol :D

BPS,URBAN Thanx alot guys.......We do get some pretty good deals around here usually but i was just curious if you can find even better on ebay.......Like i allready said been keeping my eye out on ebay got some real nice boats on there right now and not too badley priced either.

I looked into this myself before. It ends up that there is a fee coming across (I can't remember for sure but I think around a couple hundred bucks), you have to pay the taxes coming across and then there is a government inspection that has to be done at a later date. You have to bring the boat to them and there are only certain areas and dates available. Then there is the trailer. Canada has tougher laws on trailer safety than the U.S. and usually there are lighting changes, reflective tape etc. so that it will pass here. I talked to a car salesman who brought a boat and trailer back and he said the trailer was harder to get through than the boat. He told me that if he ever brings one back again, that he'd use his own trailer or borrow a Canadian one. Either that or he'd get it delivered (although there could be headaches there too) I guess what it boils down to is if the deal is incredible (or you use your own trailer) maybe it's worth it. I hear there are some good deals on boats from New Orleans :w00t::w00t::w00t: . YIKES!

Kennyman,

You pay GST at the border. Just make sure you have separate titles for the boat, motor and trailer.

You pay the PST when you register the boat.

You pay a couple of hundred bucks to get the trailer inspected at Canadian Tire. This includes getting a document from the trailer manufacturer declaring that there are no recalls. There were no issues with my trailer when inspected at CT.

You take the document from CT along with your Title and Bill of sale and register the trailer to get plates.

A bit of a pain but WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!

Ebay is like any other transaction. Be CAREFUL...buy from someone with lots of + feedback and from a listing that gives you a comfortable feeling. I've bought hundreds and hundreds of items off of ebay and sold many as well. I've only been burned once and was for a $10 item that was misrepresented. Most of my ebay purchases come from the US, Guam even..from single parts, to aircraft floats from California, to complete flying aircraft out of Texas. I've even gambled and bought aircraft engines out of Uganda without getting taken to the cleaners.

BUT...you may very well be better off buying local as Rich pointed out..

I'm not in the market, but I have looked at boats and campers on EBay. Most big ticket items are pick up only, so there goes a lot of your savings right off the bat. Time off work, travel expenses and getting through customs, and not to mention that the item you have just bought may have been misrepresented. I buy lots and lots of things from EBay. Lately I've been on a Carhartt craze. I'm buying Carhartt clothing at a fraction of the cost that it would cost here. All new with tags too. Here's an example. Carhartt flannel lined winter pants. About $100.00 or more here. I paid $15.00 plus $10.00 shipping right to my door from Alabama. Brand new with tags. Yesterday I bought lined winter bibs for work. About $150.00 here. I paid $64.00 with shipping. Convert to US currency and I paid about $75.00. Half price. If you know what you want and know what you're looking for, EBay is great. I'd be leary about buying a used big ticket item though.