My First LongNosed Gar Pike & Frist Semi-Report

ADC

Well, it was a great weekend!

I thought I would share a little report from my day of fishing this Sunday @ MooseBay.

This is my little secret spot that has been very good to me for the past many years. Its private and its usually pretty good for Bass, Pike, Sunfish, Perch, Rock Bass and as of this year LongNosed Gar Pike have shown up.

The last 3 times I went to my spot I had pretty bad luck compared to the amazing luck at the start of the season. However, this Sunday was a different story and it has opened a door for me in regards to using Tubes which I didnt really use before.... but will now.

The day started off slow and I was using my normal spinners and top waters with nothing to be caught for the first hour or so. My girl friend was using the same and again, not so much as a nibble.

Than at 10:30am I remember looking at the time and as I looked down, I see a LongNosed Gar Pike cruising the shore line right in front of me. I tossed my top water and no reaction, I tried a blue fox silver spin and he just swam away. I guess this wasnt going to be the day I catch the Gar Pike Ive been thinking about all summer since I saw the school of 20 or so back in May for the first time ever.

After the Gar Pike failed attempt, I started to use my new StrikeKing - Black, Blood Tubes.

About 5 min's later I was realing in my first smBass. And they just kept coming after that. However, my girl friend still was unlucky and doesnt like using Tubes or any fake bait so, more fish for me.

After many decent Bass catches ranging from 1-4lbs we went to the other section as things had died down. From there, it was a few more Bass and than he was back, the Gar Pike was now cruising this section of shore and I was ready with my Tube to see if it would work because it was my last hope as I had tried using everything else w/no luck.

The scary ass little devil was no more than 4 feet in front of me and right when I sank my Tube in front of his scary ass face, he took it. The thing felt like a sack of bricks and was probably about 3 feet long and a little skinny.

Well, I moved him about 6 inches and than my hook came out of his boney ass mouth. No way Im losing this guy and I shot my tube at him because he was running away and BANG! he was on again. I was screaming like a little school girl at my girlfriend to get over and see what I had and just as I was bringing him in... I LOST HIM AGAIN and he ran off into the weeds never to be seen again. :wallbash:

Well, at least I finally hooked one (twice) and saw everything from the bite right in front of me. I checked the net and it looks like they are a tough catch with only 3 in 10 hooks being landed because of their boney'ness. I also read that they are sharp as hell and can cut the hell out of you with their teeth and body. So, maybe Im lucky I didnt get him out of the water or I may have been carved up.

I tried looking on the web to see what the proper way to hold them are but, I couldnt find anything. So, if anyone has any experience with the LongNosed Gar Pikes... please let me know for next time.

After the Gar Pike fiasco, I got a few more nice Bass and it was time to go .. only to be met with nasty highway 400 trafic but... it was all worth it.

I learned a lesson this weekend as well. TUBES ROCK! and I am now hooked on them where before today, I didnt know much about them and didnt have any luck. So, thanks to the guys on the board that helped me out with the Tube info. Im a changed man! hahaha

So, thats my first little report and Gar Pike adventure. Sorry I dont have any pics.. I dont own a camera and to be honest, I hate having my picture taken. Next time I go, I will try to take one.

I hope others had as good a weekend as I did.

cheers

Thanks guys, It was a thrill as those GarPike look like scary alien fish to me! hahaha

Raf, thanks for the pic. (turns out Raf and I know each other through friends and had camped at the spot together a few years back - small world!)

Here are some more pics of the area I have from 2005.

MoosBayPic2.gif

MooseBayPic1a.gif

MooseBayPic2.gif

mooseBayPic3.gif

Sorry the pics didnt turn out so well. Im not a computer guy and this is the best I could do through MS paint.

cheers

Edited by ADC

Handling a Gar pike? I used a net and foot technique, fish in the net, on the boat floor, foot on the fish and needle nose pliers. Didn`t see a safe way to handle them, scales are sharp, even with the mouth closed teeth were sticking out. Has to be a way with less stress on the fish but unexpected catches for me.

I got a gar once on a worm and hook. This was before the internet and since they don't really get mentioned in the regs I was pretty shocked to see this freaky prehistoric thing come up to the boat.

Anyway, I got him to the boatside and he decided he'd had enough and just took off which honestly was fine by me.

Since then I have actually been in small, shallow bays (on GBAY) with huge schools of them swimming around me and I can never get them to take any lures. Which again is probably OK, although its hard not to cast to fish that are swarming around you - whether you want to catch them or not.