Fishing Near Simco and interesting Find

danw

I went fishing on Friday with my dad. It was around the smaller lakes surrounding Simco. Me and my dad headed out in the late after noon. It took us longer to get there than planed because of traffic. After about 1.5hr on the road, we set up our canoe and was eager to fish.

It was a very slow day, we a few panfish and perches. Landed one bass that was about 6". We just tossed them back, and was waiting for something bigger to be picture worthy.

The sunset was nice, the lake was calm, very good conditions for canoing.

CIMG0399.JPG

The day continued to be slow, few more perches and came to an end when the mosquitoes started to attack us.

CIMG0406.JPG

I caught a few perch, while I was preparing it I noticed something unusual about them. I noticed it had there was something the size of a rice embedded in the flesh. Upon further inspection they were some sort of parasite.

CIMG0439.JPGCIMG0444.JPG

From further googling more info I found it was common to find them in fish.

link

From the link and other links, it said it was okay to eat if cooked properly. I chose not to eat them, seeing the little critters crawling around, I lost my appetite. And I didn't want any parasites.

Here is a vid of the parasites crawling around.

So if you do decide to eat your catch, remember to cook it properly.

Edited by danw

I wouldn't eat that either. :o

Could be wrong, but I don't think that's "yellow grub". I've seen it many times. They've always been small and have never crawled around like that!

On an unrelated note: "Black Spot" is actually given its appearance by the fish. The black is a pigment that the fish produces and encysts the tiny parasite.

I found them many times in bass, perch, and walleye. Sometimes there are only a couple and you can just remove them from the fillet. I have to agree though, they don't do much for your appetite. However, if you cook your fish properly, they are harmless, just a bit more protein than you bargained for.

I've picked out a few of those parasites myself from perch and bass, usually more in the fall after the water has been warmer for awhile. I do have a limit tho, and if there are more than two I won't eat it either.

Those ones look alot longer than the ones I've seen tho. Nasty!!

Joey

Like Rizzo sez...around the gill area and at the base of the tail...if you see them there you can be assured there are many more in the fillets...sure as hell not very appetizing even if they are well cooked...a couple can be removed with the point of the knife but a bunch...forget it...Yuck !!!

That's good ol' yellow grub-harmless when the fish is cooked properly and vey easy to "pop" out of the fillets with the tip of your knife. You missed out on some tasty dinner there; I'd be willing to bet it's tought to find a perch anywhere in central/southern Ont that doesn't have any yellow grub at this time of year.