anyone familiar with this motor? some help please...

ilario

I'm looking at a late 60's Johnson. The owner has had it most of its life so he's got all the history.. well maintained and in good physical shape. But, it hasn't run in 5 years... it ran well up to that point. I'm thinking the carb might need work. What else might go wrong with a motor that's sat that long? Could it be major work? Oil and plugs were changed every fall..

Any suggestions? I will ask him to get it runnig before I think of buying it for sure...

Anyone familiar with this vintage? was it a good motor?

Thanks folks!

Coils Im thinking are in the 20-40 dollar mark each.Cleaning the carb 30-50 bucks.

To bad yer not closer to Barrie. I got a guy here that knows them old girls like the back of his hand.Would have you fixed up and running in no time.

misfish, i'm not too far from barrie... and i'm looking for a good mecahnic. I am near BPS. I fish Innisfil on the odd occasion so let me know. Is he right in Barrie?

Are those prices just for parts?

thanks!

geez, that oo eh? i'll end up dropping $300 before its over... it's priced well now... i'll have to think about this.

If it's running ok does that mean it could still require the above servicing? i guess the only way to know is get a mechanic to check it

thanks for you help gentlemen...

Buy a can of SEA FOAM

change the impeller

change the plugs

coils should be okay

drain the carb

change fuel filter if it has one

with the plugs out shoot some penetrant down each cylinder and let it sit over night

next day roll over the fly wheel with a wrench with the plugs out make sure the are free and moving

at this point if you have the means check the compression in each cylinder

change out lower unit oil

after all this is done mix a fresh batch of gas and try and fire it up with rabbit ears on

if you get it going stop it take the cover off the carbsfire it back up

and shoot some SEA FOAM down each carb intake

dont be alarmed it will smoke like crazy but its all good your neighbours might want to kill you though(mine have learned this is normal)that should be it it should be good to go

This is all easy stuff

the most difficult thing for this motor will be parts not impossible though

oh yeah buying the shop manual will be a real good idea

Buy a can of SEA FOAM

change the impeller

change the plugs

coils should be okay

drain the carb

change fuel filter if it has one

with the plugs out shoot some penetrant down each cylinder and let it sit over night

next day roll over the fly wheel with a wrench with the plugs out make sure the are free and moving

at this point if you have the means check the compression in each cylinder

change out lower unit oil

after all this is done mix a fresh batch of gas and try and fire it up with rabbit ears on

if you get it going stop it take the cover off the carbsfire it back up

and shoot some SEA FOAM down each carb intake

dont be alarmed it will smoke like crazy but its all good your neighbours might want to kill you though(mine have learned this is normal)that should be it it should be good to go

This is all easy stuff

the most difficult thing for this motor will be parts not impossible though

oh yeah buying the shop manual will be a real good idea

Lots of great info here... thus far I've only changed plugs and lower unit oil on my previous motors, thus I'm a little apprehensive about taking on all the other steps...i'm sure it's easier than it sounds! I want to learn how to do this stuff anyhow, so it might be good practice!

Will the manual instruct me on all these steps? I guess eBay should have such manuals but can they be purchased elsewhere? by the way, where do I get Sea Foam and what type of 'penetrant' are we talking about?

thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Poachers Paradise

Most NAPA stores have Seafoam....Marvel oil is said to be the best penetrating/lube oil but not sure if that's true-any of good industrial penetrating oils should be fine.

You may wan to read "Awakaning A Sleeping Outboard" at iboats.

I most likely have the manual you need. I have a 1967, 40 hp Johnson. It is a Seloc Johnson/Evinrude Volume I Tune-up and Repair Manual. This manual covers 1956-1970, 1.5 - 40 hp motors. If you can post the model # (ie: RD,RDL,RDS-15 ect.) I can identify the year for you & maybe look up some answers for you also.

Best Wishes: Rick

Great motors. Don't be scared of it. To cut down on smoke and the oil slick you can use synthetic oil. I use it in all my classic outboards that take 24:1 pre-mix. However, your motor is 50:1 so I'd just use normal oil.

1) Coils are $20-30/each. You may not need them. That vintage isn't known for bad coils.

2) Ignition tune-up kit (points and condensers) about $25. Probably don't need them either.

3) Impeller $25-30. I don't know if a replacement wear plate is available so hope it doesn't need to be replaced.

4) Carb rebuild kit about $30 includes new float.

5) Lower unit oil $10

6) Lower unit vent screw seals $2/pair

7) New spark plugs $10/pair

Parts to do a complete tune-up including everything I listed is about $150 + tax. Nothing you can't do yourself. Sitting for 5 years isn't that bad, especially if it was maintained like they said it was. I wouldn't be surprised if all you need to do is change the lower unit oil and vent screw seals; lube the cylinders/crankshaft with penetrating oil; change plugs and fire it up. That would be about $20 for those keeping track. If you do a decarb, use the old plugs during the procedure.

I forgot to mention that you should do the impeller, regardless of when it was last changed.

Edited by boatman