Advice on new fishing boat.

nautifish

Nauti, I have a 19' Larson that I bought last fall all set up as you are looking for. You ever want to go out for a day to see what you like and don't like, let me know and we can set something up. It is docked in Port Rowan, we can hit the outer bay and go after some bows and eyes. I'm not selling it but might give you more of an insight into what you want / don't want.

I bought it from a guy here, 1986 19' Larson, 4 electric downriggers, GPS, VHF, Sonar, Stereo, Top, 5HP Honda Kicker, etc etc etc for the price range you are looking at. Let me know and maybe we can hook up and get out for a day. I did buy it though in the fall after the season was over and he had already purchased a new boat, seemed then that the deals were a little better but that was when I was looking.

THANKYOU SO MUCH ALL OF YOU, YOUR ALL FAN TABBY BLOODY DOSEY! :clapping:

Once again the ofnrs come through......I really do appreciate everyones input and oppinions.

Steve that sounds great i never realised you were so close to me i'll drop you a pm okay and thanx so much. ;)

& again to all of you

THANKYOU.......

Now if we had a dern kiss emoticon on ere i would give each and everyone of ya a smootch. :D;)

Nauti, I have been looking for 'best boat' for 3 years and I think I have found the answer ... there isn't one. I started with Lund/Crestliner/Starcraft, etc. and worked up to a fiber glass Grady White 208 (probably one of the highest rated by JD Powers over the years). Not a boat to haul to Lakair but definitely suited for Lake Erie. Finally I started looking at 'high end' aluminum boats .. I want to tow it.

The Eagle Craft is great but I didn't win the lottery. LOL Finally found the one I like, a North River Seahawk. It is heavier aluminum than anything we have here. Made for the west coast rivers and Pacific shore. Great fishing boat and definitely sets a high standard. The trouble is, the closest dealer is Ohio and it has a few draw backs when you get into the options. Example ... small bow makes a it difficult to mount an electric trolling motor and have an anchor well. One boat doesn't fit all fishing styles.

All that said, I have been downrigging for several years with a 17.5 ft Starcraft (90hp) and often run to Long Point Lighthouse on good days. Buy any solidly built boat, pick your days wisely, and if the weather turns bad, take it easy and find the safest route to port. Rivets or welded doesn't really matter if you don't pound the crap out of it on every wave. The one thing I would suggest for L.E. is bigger is better .. I would like at least a 20'er to get on the waves and not roller coasting between them.

Have you looked at a Habourcraft? I have never been in one but have been told they handle the lake well.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy.

Deg

I think if your going to be fishing primarily large bodies of water, your outings are always going to be weather permitting, unless you have a boat thats at least 30'. I am bias towards Lund for a variety of reasons, but there are plenty of good boats out there. A reliable motor that can get you back is as important as the boat. One manufacturer I would stay away from is Bayliner. They are nice in terms of cosmetics, but lack in quality as far as their materials. Their fiberglass hulls are known for blistering, and their materials within the rest of the boat are of the lowest standard or non marine grade. You definately want a boat with a deep V hull design,and a full windshield as well. I have a lund 1700 with a 60 HP merc, and have spent many hours on L.O. and Simcoe, with the odd day I have had to turn around at the launch. As long as you play it safe, keep your eyes and ears on the weather, most boats in the 18'+ class will give you plenty of hours of enjoyment.

Edited by Tackle Buster

LOL John i saw that last night while i was looking on ebay.....lol.....I am liking this one i have seen.

Anyone know anything about these boats?

I also wanted to mention that i am looking for a boat for the big lakes and most of the time it will be at a slip through the season so i will not be ramping every time. I have the 14ft Tinny for the smaller bodies of water. ;)

& yes there are some beauty tug boats for sale down here just not quite what i am looking for....lol

742 7/20/07 Capt. Jason Langton

Monroe, MI

27' Sportcraft Sportfisherman '85 Single 454 340hp 1,750 $12,500

Description of 1985 27' Sportcraft Sportfisherman: 27' fishing machine 2 electric cannon downriggers, electric plannerboard reels, fish finder and gps. Rocket launcher, tandem axle trailer, many extras. Michigan dnr certified charter boat. Turn key fishing boat.

jenningsboat350.gif

Edited by nautifish

Two words, Tracy. BOSTON WHALER. Arguably the best built, safest fishing boat on the water. Find a used one cause they'll last forever with proper care. Just a beautiful boat and I've always wanted one. So, buy one and we'll make arrangements for the nuptuals.

$12,500. ? Is that the 13 footer?

27' Sportcraft Sportfisherman '85 Single 454 340hp 1,750 $12,500

Description of 1985 27' Sportcraft Sportfisherman: 27' fishing machine 2 electric cannon downriggers, electric plannerboard reels, fish finder and gps. Rocket launcher, tandem axle trailer, many extras. Michigan dnr certified charter boat. Turn key fishing boat.

Traci, that is a nice unit but if you can, find a boat that has duel motors. That way if per chance one craps you can still get home. Or at least something you can put a good kicker on.

Thankyou Dave i'll keep that in mind for sure.