Pulling a boat with a car

evster

Hello,

All I have right now is a 4 cylinder Ford Focus, and thats all i'm going to have for at least another year or two. I had put the idea of having a boat out of my mind but just recently my brother in law gave me a trailer hitch for my car. I still need to figure out how to install it but I had a crazy idea. Do you think I would be able to pull and launch something small, like a 14 foot tinny with a 15 horse motor or so?? If its possible without completely destroying my car I think I am going to start looking. I would love to have something to use after work on some local lakes or to take up to my friends in the muskoka's on weekends.

Has anybody towed a boat with a small car like this before? Just thought I would ask before I go and do something that is going to ruin my car.

Thanks!

Evan

You will get a variety of answers but the best place to look is in the owners manual it will tell you exactly how much you can tow. If you do not know exactly how to install the hitch take it to a professional before you damage the car or lose a trailer on the road.

Art

Yes, I was going to get a mechanic i know to install the hitch. I read the owners manual and it says I can tow 1000 pounds. I don't know how much everything weighs, but is it possible to find a boat motor and trailer that are combined less than 1000 pounds?

A 14' tinny with a 15hp should be under 1,000 lbs. But remember the 1,000 lb limit probably includes weight inside the vehicle, such as yourself, as well. You should consider droping down to an 8 hp and either a 12' or a light weight 14'. That will give you some extra room for your gear and a fishing buddy.

You make a good point. So I would probably need to make sure the boat motor and trailer are about 500 or less to leave room for a couple people and gas and such. The guy with the boat I am looking at is going to get it weighed for me, so if it comes in under 500 i think i might get out fishing this year :thumbsup_anim: . At least it'll hold me over until the wife is done school, and it would be a good camp boat as well.

I used to tow my 14.5' deep and wide (and heavy) aluminium boat with a 20 hp Johnson behind a 1999 2.4 L (150 hp) Chevy Cavalier Z24 with a 5 speed transmission. That car was not rated to tow where as the automatic version was at 1000 lbs. That car pulled great. It would handle two +200 lbs guys and our gear, plus boat, two full tanks of gas and two deep cycle batteries with no problem. You only noticed the wieght when going up bigger hills. In fact, it pulled as good as (or better than) my 2004 Ford Ranger 3.0 L (150 hp) with automatic transmission. The manual tranny made all the difference. Also, I wasn't as susceptible to slippery ramps with the front wheel drive.

I have complete confidence that your car could pull any normal 14' aluminium utility matched to any motor that it is rated for. But that's just my opinion.

I guess its worth a shot. I will mainly just use the car for about a 30km trip to the closest lake here. Any longer hauls will be with my dad's truck more than likely. I will probably try to keep the weight down as much as I can for now though since my car tends to struggle on long trips anyway. And hey, if it breaks the car then I HAVE to buy something better!

if it has an auto trans installing a transmission cooler will help with transmission life. You have to remember that just because the car can get the boat/trailer moving, it doesn't mean it'll stop all that weight. NEVER tow anything weighing more than what the manufacturer has rated the car for. It would be really bad for you to get hurt while driving, but much worse if you hurt someone else because you cant stop quickly enough.

just my .02

Ryan

I wouldn't tow a bag of marshmallows with a ford Focus :D:D:D

just kidding. I've been towing a 14' Lowe with platform, livewell, console, 25 hp etc with a 4 cylinder celica without a problem for years...notice I said towing isn't a problem, launching can occasionally be an experience though

Heh, trust me, i'm not a fan of the ford focus...just what i'm stuck with right now. I hear you on towing being one thing and launching being another. I can just picture not being able to pull the boat out...yikes...if it becomes a problem this boat will probablly be light enough to just manhandle into the water :P

Hey evster, I don't imagine you will have a problem towing a reasonable weight tinny. I towed a Sea-Doo behind my old Jetta for years without problem. Boat and trailer combined at 650lbs. Like most have said, take it easy and give yourself extra stopping distance. One advantage you will have over me is muscling the tinny in/out if you have problems at the ramp.

You can tow a small boat with what you have, but be prepared for an accelerated maintenance schedule. Brake pads will wear out pretty quickly, you should have your transmission serviced more frequently and other things will wear out and fail sooner. An oil and transmission cooler will help.

Your primary concern shouldn't be how can I tow this, it should be how am I gonna STOP this thing!!! Be very careful on wet and icy roads!

Yes it should be easy .Like others have said a transmision cooler will help.

I have seen many tow this size boat with eez.It won't be long before the GOOHOOS :whistling: will tell you otherwise.

Boy we have seen some nasty debates on this one.I have towed a 2000 pound fiberglass boat with a 3 litre Taurus 145hp ya climbing hills was tough but I always made it up the steep ones.Like Nike says just do it.

Enjoy the boat and ignore the GooHoos :whistling:

MTP