Best Spinning Reel Under $100?

Douger

I need a spinning reel that holds roughly 200 yds of 10lb line (give or take). Something I can use to catch salmon off a pier. I don't need anything fancy, just a basic entry-level reel that's reliable that does the job.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I agree with Lookinforwalleye, the Sedona is a good reel. Depending on your budget though, the Sahara or Symetre are both excellent quality reels for $$. Both of my kids are using Sahara's and they love them!!Smooth retrieve and very dependable drag. Gotta have both to drag a 30LB Chinny out of the rivermouth.

Good luck.....

I put a similar post out a little while ago, you may want to look it up. I went with the Daiwa Exceler 3000, and love it!! I've always been a die hard Shimano fan, but this reel is SICK!! i highly reccomend it. $70 at bass pro and it comes with a second aluminum spool too.

I own many Shimano reels from $40-230. I recently purchased a Sedona. They are great reels for a while, but then will become rough in the retrieve. I have lubricated them which temporily fixes the problem, only to develop the grinding retrieve feeling again. I have better luck with Daiwa reels regarding durability. I will no longer continue to purchase Shimano reels. I have one or two which hold up, and the others do not. They have great features otherwise.

Penn reels are good and durable also.

Check out this website for tests of reels and other fishing equipment.

http://www.tackletour.com/menureels.html

Don

If you get a chance check out the Okuma line up.

Good value and quality. Used to be available at B.P.S. but I hear they no longer are.

Probably cuz they outsold the B.P.S. branded product but who knows.

Good luck.

Hookset.

You definately want something with a nice drag. Personally, I'm gonna be picking up an Okuma Epixor ($70)for the same use as you will be using it for. Check out the size of the drag washers on it, much larger than other reels. My second selection would be a Daiwa, however, the 4000 series on them are quite bulky and heavy. The 4000 series for Shimano are a better fit for chucking spoons, at least in my opinion. And the Pflueger President is a solid pick as well, not to keen on the Supreme though.

Edited by Hooked

Long time shimano guy, but must admit, the most bang for the buck is the daiwa regal 2500, has 10 ball bearings and spare aluminum spool for around $40 +/-, solid reel!

oops, for pier fishing salmon, yea, go with a bigger reel or grow webbed feet real fast , lol

Edited by bucketmouthjohnny

I am heavily biased toward the Pflueger President and Medalist series of reels. I really enjoy using them. I do lubricate them twice a year and if they get dunked when I get home I do clean them. The two Presidents I have are just as smooth as the day I bought them. The Medalist I can't really say how it is doing yet because I only took it out on my last steelhead trip this spring so it only caught one mightily angered male rainbow about 9lbs.

I was all set to try the Diawa Regal Xi last January when I needed a reel for steelheading . After trying it and the Pflueger there was no comparision. The President was smoother, felt lighter and even though it was 20 bucks no contest.

Last month for Father's day I took my dad to BPS and gave him a choice between the Pflueger 6740 President Series and a Shimano Sedona 4000RB. He asked if I was joking when he tried the $10.00 more Shimano. Carrying his President off to the cash register so I could buy it, he said when he tried the Shimano it felt like he was putting cuttlery through a dish disposal in comparison.... What can I say the guy has been a Class A Auto Mechanic for 53 years, and knows a good piece of machinery when he tries it.

If you do go Shimano DO NOT GET a 2500 for fishing off a pier as you could find yourself waving bye bye to 30lber when it spools you. Get a 4000 series in either the Sedona or Sahara.

Edited by Canuck2fan