Check your kicker

HTHM

Well, I had a eventful outing this morning, launched at Hoovers intending to fish the Elbow. I had just cleared the break wall and was about to give 'er when I heard a thump/clunk from behind me.
My kicker was laying against the main motor only held in place by one clamp. I tried to bring it back to vertical but did not have the strength to do so. So I lashed the kicker to my downrigger base as a safety measure. I was unable to run the main because it was holding the kicker in place, so I had to go back in on my bow-mount. Thank goodness I had that, otherwise I would have been posting looking for a diver to recover my motor.
Made it back to the ramp, pulled the boat on to the trailer and got the knee deep wet mark on my pants from not being able to retrieve my boat properly. Once I had solid footing the kicker just rotated into place easy-peasy.
Fired it up and a puff of white smoke, ran for about 20 seconds and would not start to save my life. Packed it in for the day, pulled everything home and managed to get the kicker running with ether and a barrel of water.
Oil change is the next thing I'm going to do.
So, a word to the wise, check how tight your kicker is clamped to your transom, lift etc. Might save you the grief I just had.

• Like 1