Fishing near Kinmount?

MJL

Hey folks

I was just wondering what type of fish I can get out of the Burnt river near Kinmount? I'll be there this Friday at my uncle's cottage. Are there any carp that way? If not, it would save me a 1.5hr trip with smelly fermented corn in the backseat.

Thanks

Hey folks

I was just wondering what type of fish I can get out of the Burnt river near Kinmount? I'll be there this Friday at my uncle's cottage. Are there any carp that way? If not, it would save me a 1.5hr trip with smelly fermented corn in the backseat.

Thanks

Sorry..cant help you on the fishing, but you really should put it in a container or something...that stuff will stain your upholstery and make the car hard to sell later cause of the smell.... :lol:

Good luck up there! Hey...bring a carp or two with you and release them up there if they are not already there....there should be thousands by next year and I'm sure the locals would LOVE you for it.... LOL.

Hey Call these guys in Kinmount they can give you the low down.

http://topofthehill.freeservers.com/

I know they are having a 20% off sale as well. If they can't help call Minden Bait and Tackle

Address: 12667 Hwy 35

Minden, Ontario

Telephone: 705-286-4826

Fax: 705-286-4078

If your uncle has a canoe I would take it upstream by car and have them launch you. I would then travel down and fish along the way.

A few beaver dam lift overs and bugs. doubt there are carp though

Fly fishing works too

http://www.about-flyfishing.com/library/weekly/aa080200b.htm

Guest skeeter99

bring your bass gear tonnnesss of smallies and largemouth up that way, go into the general store in kinmount and look at the ontario record smallie on the wall 9 pounds something forget but pretty cool, musky/trout up there and some pike that somehow have made there way in. walleye lakes are hard to find (well with a consistent bite during the day anyway)

u heading up to a cottage as well? ... i decided not to bring my carp gear (since i don't think there's carp haha) and just plan on giving my arm some workout ... what i usually do is i check the "eating ont. sportsfish guide" to see if a place has certain specie or not :S

No carp in that section of the Burnt, but there is good Smallmouth and Muskie fishing, decent Walleye fishing. Pack your 'stained water' aresenal: that section of river is tea-brown.

Top of the Hill tackle is owned by folks that don't actually fish much. Jack in Minden is a much better resource for this area.

In general, there is not a lot of carp fishing up this way (Haliburton area), but lots of great bass fishing!

Awesome replies guys...Many thanks

Most likely I'll just be bringing up a couple bass/walleye outfits + a couple of fly rods with me for the muskies - I've never caught a musky before.

Thanks again for your help

Edited by MJL

I was up at my friends cottage just above Three Brothers Falls. There isn't much to catch above the falls but below there are plenty of decent fish. Just be careful because the shore on the East Side of the falls is private property and the owners tend to be real Jerks about it. If you can Canoe up and onto the West side you dont have to worry about that though. I caught a couple 1lb smallies below the falls before I got shooed away though. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks again for the replies.

I fished up in Kinmount yesterday from 10am to about 5pm. My uncle has a waterfront property so I launched from his backyard and paddled up and down the river in my canoe - I also drifted where ever the wind took me (usually into stumps and into trees). I was surprised that it was quite deep in a lot of places for such a narrow river. I could literally cast my fly across the entire river in some places. I marked depths to 22ft on the fish finder. Unfortunately the fish didn't like any of the flies I tied the night before so I used my spinning tackle for most of the day.

I was expecting to get into a lot of bass but unfortunately couldn't get into many...I actually only caught 1 smallie...But I did get into tons of rock bass and a couple small walleye. Highlights of my day were

1. Landing a large sled that probably fell through the ice during the winter. It tested my 20lb PowerPro to the max!

2. Losing a big 3-4lb walleye at the boat (I don't fish for walleye much so 3-4lbs is big to me).

Here's one of the walleyes I caught (both were about the same size). He took a leech on a circle hook with a split shot crimped on the line.

DSC_1734.jpg

Overall a fun trip