Thoughts on 1990s Boat

The last few replies make me feel better! Thanks guys... 

The compression tester was a Cdn Tire purchase.  I'll my mechanic to check it.  I recently found this guy so hard to say how honest and reliable but he seems good.. 

3 hours ago, slwndwn said:

Having to get towed is always a risk. Thats just boating with older equipment. New equipment breaks too. All one can do is be prepared as anyone on the water should be at all times. Treat it right and I think you'll be fine. I've been on the water my whole life with some questionable equipment including ill running motors. Never been towed, but always ready for it. Just dont go out for midnight cruise's with the wife and kids on board. lol

Well, one way to avoid getting stuck on the water is to buy a kicker.  I was going to do that either way as I do like to troll and I was thinking about adding auxiliary power

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Well, one way to avoid getting stuck on the water is to buy a kicker.  I was going to do that either way as I do like to troll and I was thinking about adding auxiliary power

A trolling motor is enough to get you to safety.

ive been stranded multiple times, most recently on Georgian bay…in the fall, during a wind storm. 

made it home but it took a while

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

I agree with Akrisoner, an 80lb electric TM with a couple of lithiums might be a better investment than hanging a gas kicker on that boat. A lot more versatile...you can still troll with it, and if you wire it up so the big motor charges it when running, should always have enough juice to get you back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

I agree with Akrisoner, an 80lb electric TM with a couple of lithiums might be a better investment than hanging a gas kicker on that boat. A lot more versatile...you can still troll with it, and if you wire it up so the big motor charges it when running, should always have enough juice to get you back.

I didn't think about using the big motor to charge the batteries.. 

35 minutes ago, siwash said:

I didn't think about using the big motor to charge the batteries.. 

You can't. Alternator is to keep your starter motor maintained. 

I managed to squeeze 2 deep cycle batteries and a built in charger in the bow compartment. 

1 minute ago, Fishing Rod said:

I managed to squeeze 2 deep cycle batteries and a built in charger in the bow compartment. 

you can if you put in a switch

2 minutes ago, Fishing Rod said:

And just from personal experience the batteries in the bow take a serious beating even really secured 

as mentioned by bite me...batteries take a friggin beating in boats. just ask me about how I literally flipped an entire battery tray and unbolted three others in one single trip across the sound in parry sound lol.

I just installed an Automatic Charge Relay in my boat. I call it the poor man's powerpole charge. Actually very very happy with it. Im pretty harsh on my electronics battery (10 hour days livescoping with 3 10 inch screens) and last year on some 12+ hour pre-fish days I actually ended up hitting the low voltage alarm which then sketched me the heck out because I needed to navigate back home in a new area of georgian bay with the possibility of not having charts. 

The ACR is most certainly the answer to the problem. Boat turns over, a couple minutes of the main motor running tops my starting battery back up, and the switch engages and my units that were just reading 10.9 volts are now reading 12.3 as they are being fed by the boats alternator. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishing Rod said:

Can you explain the built in charger please?