How to size a bow-mount electric trolling motor

Curious - can these batteries (doesn't matter what AH) be charged say if you're on a 3 or 4 day trip (back country) with a solar panel or some other charging system?

6 hours ago, CrowMan said:

You won't regret spending a few more $ if your main motor quits and you need to limp back to port with the TM. Speaking from experience.

Blew up my lower end in October while in snug harbour on Georgian bay during a wind storm…hour and a half on the trolling motor on top speed …the 2 group 31’s were fried but god was I happy to make it safety.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

RE: Charging when offgrid.   Get a small generator like a Yamaha or Honda and hook it up to the onboard charger and run it at night.   Solar isn't going to make a dent, and usually you want to charge at night.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying a 100 AH DC House lithium. So what is the protocol when charging? Can these batteries be charged even if not fully discharged? What are the dos and donts?

thanks!

Yes, dont trickle charge lithiums...the faster you charge them, the longer they last. If you don't have a lithium specific charger, the battery will only charge to 60% or so of capacity. Lithiums need a higher voltage to fully charge.

Assuming your lithium has a BMS built-in...it should automatically monitor and prevent over-charging, over discharging, and charging at sub-zero temps. 

Also, I find a Bluetooth monitor very useful. You can quickly check the status of your battery from your phone. Not sure if your battery has it built-in, but you can add it on for $30

Edited by CrowMan

What is BMS?

tge charger I have is a multiple-battery charger. It's an inexpensive charger I got on Amazon so probably not up to the task. One more thing to buy! 

"Battery Management System". 

It's an electronic system built in to the battery that monitors voltage, current, and temperature. It prevents overcharging or short circuits, etc. Keeps the battery from blowing up on you and ensures that you get the best longevity. ..makes it kind of "idiot proof". Even the most basic of lithiums should have it...

Check the specs on your charger vs the charging requirements of your battery...you might be OK

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, siwash said:

Charged it a few days ago. Took many hours. As in the whole night! Is this normal? 

What is the output of your charger in amps when you put it in Lithium mode ? Check the charging requirements of your battery vs your charger. Yours is a 24v 100 amp battery ? Can your charger operate at 24v ? Lithiums typically charge at a higher voltage  to maximize battery life. You may need a dedicated charger.

Posted (edited)

Yes, a 24 V 100... I'll need to check in the morning to answer your first question.  I guess I can get away with it for now.. Leaving for a trip on Friday to the Sag (Port Loring).  Won't have time to buy a charger. Thanks!

I think it can operate at 24V.   Does it seem like it took too long?

Edited by siwash

considering the investment in batteries we all make, im going to recommend a Noco genius for anyone putting an onboard charger in their boat. My assumption is that siwash is using just an amazon battery charger that has a lithium option...I have one for my ice fishing battery and it takes all night to charge, they arent made for charging big 100AH lithiums. They are designed for <24AH batteries.

Yup an Amazon buy...  the super long charge was the first charge. Just came back from my trip and charged it up at the end of each day.  Much faster charges. 

charger is putting out 20 A. 

On another Note, the terrova has been a blast. I'm so happy with the purchase. Feel much more in control. And the shaft length is not an issue at all. We were battling nasty wind and motor chugging all no problem

Edited by siwash