Fishing the French River

Greg4242

I am heading to the French River in early June 2023 with my 13 year old son. We are on a mission to catch some fish. All catch and release except for the odd Walleye. Just wondering if anyone can share with me some fishing spots? We are staying at Bears Den Lodge for 3 days so we want to take all the advantages we can out on the water / Thanks

2 minutes ago, Greg4242 said:

I am heading to the French River in early June 2023 with my 13 year old son. We are on a mission to catch some fish. All catch and release except for the odd Walleye. Just wondering if anyone can share with me some fishing spots? We are staying at Bears Den Lodge for 3 days so we want to take all the advantages we can out on the water / Thanks

You have a delorean with a flux capacitor 

• Haha 2

That part of the French is a maze of islands. Find the current areas in the deeper channels/neck downs and you'll usually find Walleye. Bottom bouncing jigs tipped with minnows at dawn and dusk is your best bet.

The rocks in the lower French have a habit of jumping up at you...be vigilant.

That advice applies regardless of what year it is...

• Like 1

The lower French can be a tough fish. Used to go every May, stayed at Atwood Island Lodge, has been sold since and some years almost got skunked. It can take a while to find fish. Dusk and early morning ended up being the best for walleye, strangely, a few hundred yards from the lodge. During the day got into a Muskie or two, nothing big. Watch yourselves, easy to get lost without a GPS and even easier to find a rock or two. Don't even think about trying to go down the rapids.

• 2 months later...

Honestly, if you can get a full refund, I would head to the upper French. Many lodges to choose from. I've fished the French both above and below the Chaudiere dams for 30 years. Probably well over 75 trips. Fishing has sometimes been tough (it can be on a 3 day trip), but is usually quite good. Walleye, Bass, Pike and Muskie.

Lodge possibilties:

1) Crane's Lochaven ( my personal favorite....talk to Sue)

2) Chaudiere

3) Lunge Lodge

4) The Tilted Toque (Used to be Casa Blanca...went there for 15 years).

5) Totem Lodge

6) Breyer Lodge

7) Wolsey Lodge

Also, you might take a guide first day. The whole friggin river looks fishy.....not the case. Crane's has a fleet of pontoon boats ( sans covers) that make for very comfortable fishing. Includes a wonderful shore lunch. Tell the guide you'd like to fish relatively close so you can fish the spots in your last two days. Walleye can be awesome. But, take some small topwater (ie Rebel PopR). Bass will nail them ( let them go), but pike love them as well. And....you be surprised at the muskie that will hit that smaller plug.

Now I wish I was going. Damn!

• Like 1