Looking for a used pickup - what would you recommend

siwash

My wife is a service advisor at a Chev/GMC dealership and I just asked her about the truck trade-ins. According to her 90% of the traded-in trucks are sent to the States where the dealership is gaining 15-20% more $$. The dregs are held for a short time and if not sold quickly are sent to auction. If I were looking of a "good" used pick-up; I'd be putting the word out along with some form of deposit to hold that vehicle until you had first refusal.

Dan... 

My wife is a service advisor at a Chev/GMC dealership and I just asked her about the truck trade-ins. According to her 90% of the traded-in trucks are sent to the States where the dealership is gaining 15-20% more $$. The dregs are held for a short time and if not sold quickly are sent to auction. If I were looking of a "good" used pick-up; I'd be putting the word out along with some form of deposit to hold that vehicle until you had first refusal.

Dan... 

On 12/8/2023 at 5:57 PM, siwash said:

I am weary of ford's turbos. Any issues with those v6 or v4s?

I've also considered a diesel.  Not sure though as I've heard maintaining them is costlier. 

im leaning toward the Ram (hemi) or the gmc line. 

I have not had any issues.   From what I have read the knock on the Turbo V6 is that if they have been used for heavy towing and hauling they can burn out.  So if looking used I would be wary of how it was used prior 

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Dan... 

Or look for a good private sale..I'm in no rush!

On 12/8/2023 at 5:57 PM, siwash said:

I am weary of ford's turbos. Any issues with those v6 or v4s?

I've also considered a diesel.  Not sure though as I've heard maintaining them is costlier. 

im leaning toward the Ram (hemi) or the gmc line. 

Our fleet has had a bunch of them burn up, and I know one fella personally that burnt up the ford eco-boom in a truck.  I wouldn't have one myself.  Your mileage may vary. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, gordy28 said:

I have 2019 F 150 crew cab with the 2.7 litre V6, short box. I don’t tow w it often but use it a lot for fishing, atving (atv in box) and so far it’s been a great truck 

Decent on fuel (average 12.7 l per 100 KM)

Gordy

I'm getting close to that mileage with my 5.3.. 

On 12/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, gordy28 said:

I have 2019 F 150 crew cab with the 2.7 litre V6, short box. I don’t tow w it often but use it a lot for fishing, atving (atv in box) and so far it’s been a great truck 

Decent on fuel (average 12.7 l per 100 KM)

Gordy

With my 18 tundra I'm between 13.8 and 15.8 normal driving. Jumps when towing but I definitely expect that...

I really expected the 2.7 to be much better.

End of the day I found the tundra was cheaper then the comparable chev. (back in 18)

The way the tundra holds its value is insane. Wish I upgraded to the leather seats but back then I did not want to spend the extra...

Good luck on your search for used.....

I agree with "word of mouth"

Hope someone you know decides to trade in/up and you can get a good used truck.

Best if luck with your search.

the enviro-nazis that are the canadian government have stated that gasoline vehicles will not be sold in Canada by 2035.  It won't happen but if it does, that will be a disaster.. anyone tracking the evolution of EVs should know that they suck.