Selling boat but have no ownership docs.

Raycaster

I probably will be selling my 16ft Legend 2003 Xcite 25hp in the spring (should sell now) but looking into getting the proper ownership docs to make the sale easier.

I obtained the boat through a trade and printed up proper sale docs that were dated and signed and I still have them. The gentleman I got the boat from is pretty legit with a local business and he produced the sale papers from when he purchased from the previous owner used (which I also have). Its had a few owners and its your typical well used boat. It has its info stamp with serial in the boat and its original identification letters on the hull.

Anyways...

I've been googling and looking through the government websites for info as the local DOT said basically "no idea". The boat will be under 7K and the next owner may not care but if I could just fill out some docs and send a cheque to get new official ownership the sale would probably go smoother.

If anyone has gone through this and has a hint or 2 I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Well, being a computer geek I though I'd ask chatGPT:

In Ontario, Canada, the process for obtaining official ownership papers for a used boat worth less than $5,000 involves registering the boat with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO). Here are the steps you should follow:

1. **Gather Necessary Information:**
   - Obtain the boat's details, including its make, model, year, length, Hull Identification Number (HIN), and engine information.
   - Ensure you have a bill of sale or transfer of ownership document from the current owner, including details of the sale (e.g., names of buyer and seller, boat description, price, and date of sale).

2. **Complete the Required Forms:**
   - Obtain the "Application for Pleasure Craft License" (Form 84-0172) from the MTO's website or a ServiceOntario location.
   - Fill out the form with all the required information, including the boat's particulars and the details of the sale.

3. **Pay the Registration Fee:**
   - As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there is a registration fee associated with the boat registration process. Ensure you check the latest fee structure on the MTO's website.

4. **Submit Your Application:**
   - Submit the completed form and any supporting documents, including the bill of sale, to the MTO. You can typically mail your application to the following address:

Ministry of Transportation
   Registrar of Motor Vehicles
   P.O. Box 3010
   Kingston, ON K7L 5A3
   Canada

5. **Wait for Processing:** After you submit your application, you'll need to wait for the MTO to process it. Processing times may vary, so be patient.

6. **Receive Ownership Papers:** Once your application is approved, the MTO will issue official ownership papers for the boat. These will usually come in the form of a Pleasure Craft License.

It's essential to check the latest information and fee structure on the Ontario Ministry of Transportation's official website or contact their customer service for any updates or changes to the registration process. Keep in mind that the requirements and procedures may change over time, so it's important to verify the current requirements with the relevant authority.

Seems to me when a boat gets reregistered. You have to have the name

and address of the owner and a bill of sale 

plus photos of the boat that includes the numbers on the side of the boat

so I don’t know how you will get around that. 

If you’re still in touch with the previous owner you should ask him if he registered the hull numbers in his name. You basically want to find out who those numbers are registered to and file your paperwork as if you bought it directly from them. 

As Terry said, don't get caught up with 3rd party registration , Pleasure craft licence is FREE 

To register you need to have a picture of your drivers licence, side image of the boat, and bill of sale.

Then upload it on the site of registration.

Edited by Fish Farmer

1 hour ago, Fish Farmer said:

As Terry said, don't get caught up with 3rd party registration , Pleasure craft licence is FREE 

To register you need to have a picture of your drivers licence, side image of the boat, and bill of sale.

Then upload it on the site of registration.

As long as you have a record of paying the tax.  If not, they're coming after you lol.

• Like 1

OK, thank you to everyone for the help.

Went to storage and got all the necessary images etc. and information to apply for a pleasure craft license.

I ran by the local DOT to confirm I was all set and they were helpful and said to their knowledge all I needed was a valid bill of sale with all the required information needed.

They gave me a Canadian Boating Information number 1-877-242-8770 that I could verify this information.

I called the number and was informed that I 100% am NOT required to fill out the online application for a pleasure boat license and a VALID Bill of Sale is all that is required to give the next owner.

Taxes can be done at DOT on the previous sale BUT was told to hold on to the receipt as this documentation has a high chance of "falling in the cracks" or taking years to actually be verified by the CRA.

• Like 2