top 5 musky lures?!

siwash

On 9/17/2023 at 12:53 PM, siwash said:

Just came across a used Revo Toro baitcaster with 8' Veritas.  Would that be a bit to light duty? 

A Revo Toro what?  S?  Beast? Rocket?   Kawartha fish aren't giants.  If that Veritas is MH at least, you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DICKEYRIGS said:

Launch on the north end, lots of big fish up there. 3-5 ft for 8miles or so from that bridge, waste of time.

I assume you are referring to Pigeon Lake north vs south end? If so, I agree. The lower end is a swamp! I'm not into the thick, shallow weedy water.  I fish the weeds but prefer weed edges, pockets etc, adjacent to deeper water.  I have just had more luck. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 8:14 PM, 12 Volt Man said:

Excellent thread.

so I am a shore fisherman that has been trying to catch a muskie for about 2 years. 

I fish Lake Gibson in Thorold (nothing but I know there are big muskie in it)

I have driven out to a well known shore spot on Lake St. Claire (about 2 hours from me) 3x and each time no one caught one lol 

I am thinking about trying a shore spot in the Kawarthas for a better chance. 

there is a spot near a boat launch in Balsam lake where people fish that is about the same driving distance as Lake St. Claire was.

Worth a shot? I have a muskie rig (St. Croix Premier, Tranx etc) big net etc.

Or am I better to try somewhere near Pigeon Lake?? it seems to be another muskie factory like Lake St. Claire is.

thanks!

Assuming since your fishing Gibson you are close to Niagara? For a shore angler any of the creek mouths along the Upper River can have fish cruising by and probably your best bet in that area. Also the Lower River has a small but overlooked population above the dams and all throughout the whirlpool/Glen area. I have never really targeted them there but have caught and seen quite a few incidentally over the years. Spend enough time smallie fishing there one will grab your bass,,or spoon chucking salmon and casting kwikfish for trout seems to hook ski's if ones around .  You do see a few guys target them with giant tube jigs or inline bucktails in that area at times. 

Edited by steellee
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:12 AM, steellee said:

Assuming since your fishing Gibson you are close to Niagara? For a shore angler any of the creek mouths along the Upper River can have fish cruising by and probably your best bet in that area. Also the Lower River has a small but overlooked population above the dams and all throughout the whirlpool/Glen area. I have never really targeted them there but have caught and seen quite a few incidentally over the years. Spend enough time smallie fishing there one will grab your bass,,or spoon chucking salmon and casting kwikfish for trout seems to hook ski's if ones around .  You do see a few guys target them with giant tube jigs or inline bucktails in that area at times. 

Thank you! I actually ended up catching one by driving up to the Kawarthas to a river up there! Smashed a Mepps #5 Black Fury on my bass rod (after using my muskie rig for hours - go figure lol)

cropped.jpg

• Like 2

my story from what I understand is not unusual - I cast Big Rapala jointed shads, Buchertail 500 and 700s and Mepps Giant Killer lures from 10am to about 3pm

took a break, picked up my Loomis IMX Pro bass rod, cast the smaller #5 Mepps Black Fury and WHAM

sometimes downsizing can help entice a bite. They weren't interested in the bigger stuff that day. 

379787935_10159963887508401_1676660439867329034_n.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, siwash said:

Nice fish... I suppose because it isn't a monster fish it would be more likely to hit a smaller lure?  Not sure how it works... 

Ya I was thinking that too. The river where I caught him apparently does have 50 inchers in it but this fish definitely wasn't it lol 

• 3 weeks later...

came across a 7'10" St Croix Bass X Heavy Power rod.  I and wondering if a rod like this would be adequate for Kawartha and Halibirton Muskie since fish in these waters are smaller than Geo Bay, St. Larry, etc.. I mostly fish waters with smaller musky.. 

7’10” St Croix Bass X Heavy Power

Lure rating on that rod is 2-5oz, you should be just fine.   That's what you need to look at.   You can land a fish on pretty much anything but tossing lures well outside the rods suggested lure rating will make for a crappy day.  

Also, you need to think about figure 8s.   A longer rod makes this much easier and Kawartha fish will definitely eat on the 8 (Compared to Gbay fish which I find tend to turn away).   

You also should think about a trolling rod and cheap linecounter.   Now is the time to be dragging around baits.  

Here's a few from this fall to keep this thread exciting.

8uSie6Ul.jpg

vDCnVnjl.jpg

4KvJ6szl.jpg

XmQjC18l.jpg

u9R31gBl.jpg

eHLcOnOl.jpg

Edited by BillM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Lure rating on that rod is 2-5oz, you should be just fine.   That's what you need to look at.   You can land a fish on pretty much anything but tossing lures well outside the rods suggested lure rating will make for a crappy day.  

Also, you need to think about figure 8s.   A longer rod makes this much easier and Kawartha fish will definitely eat on the 8 (Compared to Gbay fish which I find tend to turn away).   

You also should think about a trolling rod and cheap linecounter.   Now is the time to be dragging around baits.  

Here's a few from this fall to keep this thread exciting.

8uSie6Ul.jpg

vDCnVnjl.jpg

4KvJ6szl.jpg

XmQjC18l.jpg

u9R31gBl.jpg

eHLcOnOl.jpg

32 minutes ago, siwash said:

Wow!

Yeah, with a long rod (10ft are getting very popular now) there's basically no effort at all when it comes to figure 8s.    Keep the lure deeper in the water, don't have to bend over a much, just easier all the around and when you hook that fish boatside you can let the rod do a lot of the work and not pull the hooks.