power pro question

oxcowboy

hi folks,

i got a quick question for you power pro users. i have a spool of 80 lb and was wandering if i could use it instead of a steel leader for pike fishing. i know that i would have to retie from time to time, but i hate the way some of my crank baits work when they are attached to a steel leader. would it be worth it, or would i still have to many bite-offs to make it worth while. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jason

Funny you post this. I used PP as a leader for pike for years, with a clip addatched to the lure for more action. I did notice the lures dives deeper. Yes, you have to retie after every few fish.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

OCH

I would never use any kind of braid as a leader for esox. Esox, (pike and muskie) have serrated teeth and will cut through braid no problem. Walleye on the other hand have conical teeth and have trouble breaking braid. Rather than using a steel leader why don't you go to a fluoro leader. I think the fluoro will have less of an effect on your lure's action.

always use a wire or fluoro leader for pike or muskie. they will slice through braid like a hot knife through butter. it may not happen tomorrow, but believe me it will happen and when it's a trophy that you've just lost you'll be kickin' yourself.

Floro rocks! I use 130 for Musky and 80 for Pike and Walleye. I don't need it for Walleye but there are also Pike or Musky where I Walleye fish- the floro leader doesn't seem to scare off the Walleye I am casting or trolling for! You should see the damage a house cat will do to braid!

I always use a leader when targeting Pike or Musky. I've gone to 2 Ft. Flouro for casting and 3 Ft. for trolling. I started out using a 12" leader and my wife lost her very first musky because the fish nicked the line. (She's still waiting for her first one). I'll let out the words that were said, but after that, I've gone a bit longer. Don't risk losing a good fish ... use a leader if you are specifically targeting these species. It's good too to lessen the chances of a line breaking and a fish swimming off with a bunch of hooks still embedded. Good post and you'll get a lot of good responses.

Fishtat2, that's the problem, you may not lose fish with the steel leader but when the fish rolls, you'll scar her enough with the steel that she might die anyway. Use Fluoro. IMHO.

I have caught alot of big pike with no leaders and 50lb PowerPro - but I've made the switch to flurocarbon and am VERY happy I did!

I used 80lb fluro this spring with no trouble at all - just some little scrathces on teh fluro - the pike in the profile pic was caught on 80lb fluro

Edited by mepps