Keel guard

b_cdot

Hello everyone,

I have a Lund Pro-v (aluminum), it's my 3rd year with the boat. Just curious if anyone suggests getting a keel guard? I pull my boat up lots onto shore. I fish alone a lot and this makes it much easier for me to launch and retrieve the boat at some of the launches I use. Lots of these areas are mud, sand, sometimes scattered rock but I noticed I'm getting some wear and scratches on the keel. Will this eventually cause any considerable damage? Any suggestions or experience with this issue? Thanks! 

9 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I think keel guards are more for fibreglass boats to protect the gel coat from scratches.  Scratches are less of an issue for aluminum.

Less of an issue for sure, but if I can still find a way to protect the aluminum from getting scraped and dented it would be nice.  

I called up Megaware keel guard which looks like a similar product to gatorguard and they say their product needs to be air and water tight or it won't adhere.

1 hour ago, wkrp said:

Perhaps you could cut the keel guard  down it to avoid the riveted flanges

That is something that crossed my mind, I don't want to be the guinea pig though.... if anyone has tried it with success I would like to know