finally pulled the trigger and bought a few ice fishing items

huzzsaba

I'm more of a buyer than a maker LOL

Well, I did make my Smitty but the anchor adapter I got from Canadian Tire.

The issue was I only had the one drill and it's bolted to my clam plate. I thought about trying a brace (hand) drill but they are apparently gargabe (Amazon) or expensive (and/or antique).

I had a Milwaukee impact gun already but didn't know how to connect the adapter to the impact gun. I only recently discovered there is a drill chuck adapter for impact guns and had that AHA! moment. I haven't tested it on ice yet but it'll drive an anchor into a 2x4 ?

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:57 PM, huzzsaba said:

Already set it up in the house and seems to be of very good quality and material is nice and thick and well insulated.

Don't drill a hole in the floor.. Looks like you have the ice bug. Beware it can get out of hand Huzz my friend. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, AKRISONER said:

I personally have started to realize that Ice fishing really is all about moving around and staying mobile. Unfortunately sometimes it difficult to leave the heat of the hut lol. Weve started to set out huts at a central location and then punch holes all around the hut. Fish until you get cold and then go in and warm up for a while.

Not sure if you are using a flasher or not, but seriously I dont fish without one anymore.

I should read all the posts before I comment about drilling a hole in the living room floor. You will never get through the concrete in the basement. 

When we were fit as a fiddle and 30 to 40 years younger we chased the Perch where ever they were, Simcoe, Couch and Nipissing. Drilling 30 holes was normal, and I'm talking manual augers and axes. Then we evolved to chain saws. Fishing budgets were tight those days and gas augers weren't cheap. If there were hand held cordless drills then we would have made Swiss cheese out of a lake. Those lakes were usually where we went for Perch as #1 quarry and of course St. Williams on Erie after we moved to Lake Erie. We would use the huts as home base and the kitchen unless the fish were directly below, odds are they weren't, except a few pesky Pike that chased all the others away. I don't know if fishing was priority #1, we sure cooked up some great meals on the ice along with something to wash it down with. We usually had enough to feed our neighbours and did. Nothing more boring than staring down a hole for hours on end catching dinks. Don't limit yourself to a hut, fish move and so should you. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 2 weeks later...

so just wanted to update, I returned the hut as I quickly realized that my type of fishing is to be mobile. would have been a pain to keep moving it after having anchored it down. I set it up once and ended up spending 5 mins inside and the rest of the day outside chasing  the biting fish from one hole to the other.  Pretty fun and keeps you warm lol.

The auger on the other hand has been super and is here to stay.  went out twice and did good with numbers for perch, but nothing size-worthy.

Hoping to get out for some whitefish and lake trout. Any recommendations to easy access on to Simcoe for some lakers and whities? Will be hut less, but that is ok. 

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Now you have entered the NEVER ASK ZONE. LOL

When I had my huts out in the 80s I flew a Petro Canada and Elmer the Safety elephant flags. Indicating wind direction and visibility from shore.

One one trip a small plane circled us for a few minutes flew away and came back and landed!!!! A couple of Drs from Beaverton on a Sunday fly!  HAZZ parachute in! 

Hazz

2 hours ago, misfish said:

18 hours ago, misfish said:

Now you have entered the NEVER ASK ZONE. LOL

I figured lol.  I know one very popular access point, but with the steep incline/decline, was wondering if there was an easier way to get down. I guess will try that one first ?

1 minute ago, huzzsaba said:

I figured lol.  I know one very popular access point, but with the steep incline/decline, was wondering if there was an easier way to get down. I guess will try that one first ?

BBP, Walk out from the peir. 105 fow. Best I can do. No hills. You need to park on BBP rd and walk back. Have a buddy with you.Drop gear off at the lake.