Any Subaru owners...

Headhunter

Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a 2nd car, with gas consumption and family safety being the keys to this buying decision. My Jimmy just isn't fuel efficient enough to drive back and forth from my new house, into town.

I've been looking at the Subaru, specifically the Forrester. Does anyone have any experience with these vehicles? I've driven one of my friends a few years ago, seemed like a peppy car, very stable.

Any thoughts on these vehicles? Good or bad, let it fly!

HH

PS... If you have a 4 cylinder vehicle that's in good shape and your interested in selling it.... PM me!

great cars. expensive to fix. they don't break too often.

old neighbour had the impreza wrx wagon and it was a nice vehicle. the awd system is nice.

Edited by Raf

I believe PigeonFisher has one, and his previous was one as well. My recollection, he clocked aton of mileage on his too. I was interested in one before, just didn't fit my budget at the time, but heard alot of good things about them.

I put 185,000 on mine in about 2 1/2 years. Great little car. I had the Subaru Imprezza with the 2.5 litre. Definitely get a 5 speed, you have a lot of available power through that little stick.

I did ALL of the dealer suggested maintenance and only put in gas, oil and tires. GREAT little car. I also towed a boat with it and accidently took it offroading at 130km/h. When I went offroading I punctured the catalytic converter but that was it. The AWD system would make the fuel economy similar to a small 6 cylinder.

I currently have a Mitsubishi Endeavor (until Thursday) which is another great car. Don't buy one though as you can't sell it. hahahaha mine is 2 1/2 years old with 170,000kms and it is worth $7500. DANG

Not a lot of them up here Headhunter but have 3 regular customers with them. Been very good for them so far. Parts availability can be an issue here and our local dealer has mixed reports for customer satisfaction. So something to keep in mind if you travel and you do have a problem on the road its possible you may wait a little longer for parts. Personally if one became available to me at the right price I would buy one.

Edited by Nipissing

I've got a 2002 WRX wagon and it hauls a lot of gear and it hauls a lot of ass. I have had no major problems with the car in 150 000 kms, and the car feels as tight and strong and enjoyable as the day I got it. If you want cheap parts for Subaru's there is so much support on the net for these cars that you can save 25 -75 % on parts for most routine and major maintenance and upgrades: tune ups, brakes, exhaust, clutch as long as you know a bit about the cars.

Edited by carponthefly

I currently have a 1997 Outback 5 speed with 263,000 km on it. I bought it used with 62,000 km on it. Had problems like many other owners with the head gasket, which isn't cheap to repair. Front calipers and CV boots seems to be recurring issue recently. Stainless steel exhaust which is not cheap to replace. Parts aren't cheap either and not that many dealerships. On the positive side, well built, AWD is great and I'm still on the first clutch. I never have much luck with cars but this has been pretty reliable overall, and it suits my fishing and camping needs well enough that I just bought a new 2007.

Jon