Mangrove shore fishing.

limeyangler

Hi all,

back from the vay-k. Fishing was good but different this year. The wind was unreal, but having been here before a few times it got me excited about my mangrove spot as in years gone by these conditions turned the bay to chocolate milk and the Tarpon and Snook were on fire, only difference this year was the complete absence of any significant schools of spratt, the pelicans even looked confused by the absence of their usual feast. This scenario played out in all my spots, no baitfish in any numbers....anywhere! The wind was also from the N and NE and not it's usual ESE, which meant that despite huge swells coming in the water remained fairly clear everywhere. 

I only fished the bay in this video twice, as the second time I went I got nothing but small Barracuda, and with a limited amount of Berkely Ripple Shads I left it alone after that as they tend to nip just the paddle tail off rendering the bait ineffective.

There was a couple of small schools of young Tarpon in there and I actually landed one this year, they move around a lot when the bait is scarce so it was difficult to get at them consistently wading the shoreline.

58 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Wow does that ever look like fun! 

Can't believe the fight they give you. Looks like I'm going to have to add this to my list of fish to target one day. 

I Love it there, never know what's gonna bite. Those are small tarpon, last year same spot I was hooking into 4 footers, they are insanely powerful and extremely good and leaping and spitting the hook, definitely recommend fishing for them, so cool to see the fins break the surface and cast in front of them and get an instant WHAM as soon as the lure hits the water.