Toronto Islands Bass Opener

Ben_Daniels

Well I got out to the Islands today. It was an awesome time out there. Probobly the best urban fishing I've had. It didnt start off so good, I spent prolly 4 hours throwing a spinnerbait without a hit or anything. So i decided to start pitching a black and blue creature type bait. 5 minutes after starting to fish it i saw my line go to the side, i set the hook really hard and was hoping for my first bass of the year....

Catfish.jpg but no a brown bullhead.

I proceeded to catch 3 more catfish. Id see a perfect hole in the weed then throw in and be so excited hoping that it was gunna be a bass...but no. I was starting to think there were no bass over there. Then i set the hook on what felt like a huge bass...

Ling.jpg

Then I pulled up my first bowfin. Very cool coloring on this guy. Those bowfin sure do fight! I'm thinking to my self why are these fish eating bass lures!!!! Continued to fish for another 2 or 3 hours and finally got my first bass of the season.

Bass.jpg

A nice 2 pounder. Got one more bass that was probobly 2 or 3 pounds.

Bass2.jpg

So I was extremly happy with my bass opener even though they werent really cooperating. So I decided to pack it in and go home, I figured Id throw a pike spinnerbait while I walked to the fairy. Im pulling my spinnerbait over a weed clump and this huge pike comes up and takes my spinnerbait. This Pike put up a huge fight and to my amasement it didnt break the line , i wasn't using a leader, just my power pro. I had no net and no one to help me land the fish so i got in the water and cradled it onto shore with my arms. By this time my arms and legs are trembling! I had no net and no scale. but Im guessing it went 12-14 lbs, and comparing it to my rod its somewhere between 37-39 inches.

Pike.jpg

My PB Pike, and I didnt even have to go up north to get it! No Leader, No Net, No Help, on a bass rod.

This is one Bass Opener I will not forget.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Nice one Ben! Love the shot of the Bowfin and congrats on the pike. Nice to see there's a few around still - I was beginning to think they had all gone as I've failed to catch a pike or bowfin there on last three visits despite casting a lot of lures around the weedbeds. Looks like you had a great day.