Tesla Pickup truck

huzzsaba

...cut that range by 30% in a Canadian winter too. The heat/fans/defrost all run off the battery too

Norwegians will need to wear a toque and parka, eh?

Edited by Raf

I think if it could get 400km per charge it would be feasible as a work truck. Right now I'm doing 300/day without any stops, as a long distance vehicle not so much especially if you need to tow long distance

The question I have is how much will we be paying per 100 kms of range? Does anyone know what the real cost is to charge the things? I recently saw a Tesla parked in a lot. Before I read the badge I was totally impressed with the looks of it. I thought it might be a new Jag or Bentley sedan. It reeked of class. I am very impressed with the styling and fit and finish. I really haven't researched as of late the systems or pricing for charging. I know Uncle Katty was installing and investing millions of our bucks into charging stations on our dime. I pictured 220V plug ins at our homes. Is this something that may happen sooner than latter? There was a thread on iboats where a guy slapped an electric motor in a 18' foot glass boat, it did 60 MPH or some crazy speed but a very limited range at that speed. I need to find the link.

How many of these all electric vehicles are on our roads today. A neighbour has one of the 1st Toyota hybrids, it is at least 10 years old now, he has zero complaints. I don't know where he tops the batteries up. I have yet to see a charging station in my travels. Now may be the time to install a residential wind turbine. I can see neighbours splitting on the cost if electric is the way of future. 15 years ago I got a quote for a wind turbine at 60K, ROI was 30 years at 10 cents per KWH not including maintenance. The Coopers put one in at their property down the road where they build steel boats, it paid for itself in 5 years he says. With a dozen welding machines running all day I can see it but not to run a freezer in a home.

$125.9 today for reg. at Pioneer Cayuga, $1.10 at Rez. Gas was $1.09 before it went up, when things get back to "normal" they will set it at $1.15 and we will all be cheering like the good red and white once a year in July flag waving Sheep we are.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

There would have to be a lot of infrastructure put in and/or the range on these things improved greatly before they are feasible in a country as big as ours. It's one thing for city dwellers commuting to work and getting groceries but completely different in a long distance runner 4x4.

I like the idea on paper but in practise I think we are a long ways off. Norway is I am guessing a fraction the size of ontario

Right now they'd be a good choice as one vehicle for a two vehicle family. Many families have more than one vehicle; so this doesn't mean they would be buying an extra vehicle.

They could use an electric vehicle for local errands and still have a gas vehicle for long drives where range would be a factor. This could help provide some time for the infrastructure to be built.

The question I have is how much will we be paying per 100 kms of range? Does anyone know what the real cost is to charge the things?

How many of these all electric vehicles are on our roads today. A neighbour has one of the 1st Toyota hybrids, it is at least 10 years old now, he has no complaints. I need to ask him how he keeps the batteries topped up. I have never seen a charging station, not out here in the boonies at least.

If it's a hybrid, it uses the gas engine to keep the battery charged. Although plugging it once in while may still be beneficial.

The actual cost is a good question. I remember reading recently that the Ontario government gives a credit of up to $14k for an electric car. They can afford to do that if more people start buying electric? Can more people afford to by electric if they don't offer the credit?

The other issue is gas taxes. The government collects a lot of revenue from the sale of fuel. One of the reasons for these taxes is to pay for the roads. So owners of electric cars are not contributing to the cost of building and maintaining the roads. This will become an issue if electric vehicles ever capture a significant share of the market. If electric vehicles become more popular, the government will need to find a way to replace the lost revenue.

Edited by JohnBacon