Building a dock..Need advice.

tb4me

Call 911, another hi-jack. Sorry, really I am. Just another Segway into a different discussion.

LMAO I hear ya loud n clear..

I only wish someone had of given me this advice 20 years ago when you could get a rustic cabin on the lake of bays for 80k....Now its a different story.. half a million for a run down shack. I have come to terms with the fact that ill never have a get away unless I do it this way.

Having said that ill tell you about our park.. Its a good one.. A keeper if you will. The owner is top notch, he really is.. Even though hes a stinkin Argos fan. lol..3k a year for waterfront and a large double lot as well some of the best multi species fishing in all of Ontario. We pay our own hydro but water garbage pickup and sewage pump-out is included. They have a great rec hall for the kids and do a TON of events for the kids..He does have a 20 year rule but once grandfathered in you could keep it standing a 100 years if you want.. Just anyone new to the park cant bring anything in over 20 years.

Back to the dock now...lol I think im just going to go with the sched 80 2 inch pipe pounded into the river bed. we have decided to go 5 x 16 with a deck to the existing stairs..Thanks for all your input folks.. its much appreciated . Will post pics when its finished..Heading up this weeknd to get it done

Edited by tb4me

4' wide and you want to sit out there and have a brew? I'd go to 5 or even 6' wide. At 4' you won't have room to walk around your chair to go get a refill. Two people even trying to pass on a 4' dock can be a challenge especially after a few brew.

As for decking material, spend the extra money and go with the plastic wood type of decking, it will save you money in the long run.

Take those brackets back. They are designed to pinch the post against the wood, there is a better type available from dock supply stores that actually pinches the post against the bracket, it's a bit more money but a far superior system.

If you want to PM me your address I'd be happy to come look at what you have to work with and try to give you some ideas, I've built a lot of docks in the past 16 years, made a few mistakes, learned a few lessons :whistling:

How close are you Cliff? Im 2 lift locks down from Seymour! We should be up Friday around 2 to 4 pm..Stop by for a brew and a gander if you want..Let me know and Ill PM you my cell #

As I tell everyone that says "I wish I had done it 20 years ago" in 20 years if you don't do it now you will be saying the same thing. Everything is great until the park owner gets an offer he can't refuse. Real estate speculators are buying up trailer parks and developing them into lakefront McMansions. A beachfront site here on Erie at Knights Beach was going for 10K buy in and 5 grand a year rent 6 years ago. No idea how much now. He turned down many millions to develop the land for residential homes, up till now anyway.

How close are you Cliff? Im 2 lift locks down from Seymour! We should be up Friday around 2 to 4 pm..Stop by for a brew and a gander if you want..Let me know and Ill PM you my cell #

I'm in Lindsay so it's a bit of a drive, you seem to have things fairly well thought out so there isn't much more that I can contribute in that regard. Good luck with the project, I'm glad to hear you decided to go wider than the 4', you;ll appreciate it later. :clapping: