Smoking Fish

Sinker

My wife loves the smoked salmon I make.. There's a lot of work involved when you have a smoker with a side box like mine.. It's very hard to control the temperatures if it's windy or cold outside and if you go over 180 degrees for any length of time you get too much albumin which is coagulated protein. Not harmful but it just means that you went too hot, too soon.. A Bradley with temp control would be ideal but I like cutting my own wood for the smoker ... There are utube videos explaining how to make your own pucks for a Bradley... Hmm

And I don't mean rolling them in papers....

I have a new smoker. Its a masterbuilt electric. Pretty cool, but I know nothing about smoking fish....except eating it!!

Lets hear some methods, recipes, special brines...whatever you have to share.

I have some whities I want to smoke, and I will have some lakers to do after the long weekend.

Where do I start?

S.

If you can cook a hot dog you can smoke a fish............WAIT, I talking to Sinker......LOL

But anyways.............

To cut time in half or more, fillet fish and leave skin on......

Brine fish in 1 gallon of water and 1/4 cup of Kosher Salt, 1 cup of brown sugar and about a half cup of maple suger (the cheap crap, not your good stuff) and fridge overnight........

Just before smoking (not a cigar) rinse quickly and pat dry...........

Smoke in smoker skin down for about 2-3 hours until the fish is golden brown on the top.......YOU will know it's done.......

Now this is the VERY IMPORTANT part of smoking "white fish"........don't eat it right away.........send me at least 3 fillets for sampling/testing to see if it's safe to eat and wait further instructions...... :)

just finished my first ever batch of trout (splake/speck/laker) and it turned out excellent. It's definitely a heck of a lot more simple than some enthusiasts would have you believe, and definitely not an exact science when it comes to brining ratios and smoking times etc. I made my brine with less sugar than what the recipe called for to make a very basic toned down brine and it still turned out fantastic. I also smoked them for about 3.5 hrs to keep them fairly moist and not overly smokey (small fillets mostly). Cant wait to start tinkering with different chips and brines etc