Minnows as bait in Quebec

Sterling

So I know minnows are banned as bait pretty much everywhere in Quebec. However can you use say, frozen herring?

Edit: Correction, it appears I'm totally wrong, however I'm trying to find out the regulations for minnows in zone 22 south. Can't find any info!

Edited by Sterling

In bold letters it says "PROHIBITED FROM APRIL 1ST, 2017 EXCEPT FROM DECEMBER 20, 2017 TO APRIL 1, 2018".

They decided to change the regulation at some point last summer. Dead bait fish are only allowed during the winter. Period. No exceptions.

Read this from another site

"If anyone is travelling to our beautiful province this spring, please be aware that once again, Quebec is making it known that it is the province that fun forgot.

Our provincial wildlife administration has put into place new measures for the use of baitfish for fishing.

From April 1 until December 20( when ``winter`` fishing season opens) NO LIVE OR DEAD BAITFISH are permitted for fishing. Nothing. Nada. Zero Zilch. This includes store bought herring, smelts, mackerel, anything.

From December 20, until March 31 annually, dead baitfish are permitted for the `` winter `` fishing period.

Also, in shared waterways with other provinces where live bait was legal to use in the winter, it is now prohibited to use any live baitfish to fish in winter or summer.

Here`s the Coles notes,

April 1-December 20- NO BAITFISH ALLOWED FOR FISHING AT ALL.

December 20-March 31- ONLY DEAD BAITFISH ALLOWED.

For anyone that doesn`t speak French, the MFFP (governing body in Quebec for wildlife regs) website is a nightmare. All of the publications and press releases are solely published in French....

hopefully this info will save any visitors from a fine, as our wardens are pretty ticket happy."

In bold letters it says "PROHIBITED FROM APRIL 1ST, 2017 EXCEPT FROM DECEMBER 20, 2017 TO APRIL 1, 2018".

They decided to change the regulation at some point last summer. Dead bait fish are only allowed during the winter. Period. No exceptions.

D'oh!

Read this from another site

"If anyone is travelling to our beautiful province this spring, please be aware that once again, Quebec is making it known that it is the province that fun forgot.

Our provincial wildlife administration has put into place new measures for the use of baitfish for fishing.

From April 1 until December 20( when ``winter`` fishing season opens) NO LIVE OR DEAD BAITFISH are permitted for fishing. Nothing. Nada. Zero Zilch. This includes store bought herring, smelts, mackerel, anything.

From December 20, until March 31 annually, dead baitfish are permitted for the `` winter `` fishing period.

Also, in shared waterways with other provinces where live bait was legal to use in the winter, it is now prohibited to use any live baitfish to fish in winter or summer.

Here`s the Coles notes,

April 1-December 20- NO BAITFISH ALLOWED FOR FISHING AT ALL.

December 20-March 31- ONLY DEAD BAITFISH ALLOWED.

For anyone that doesn`t speak French, the MFFP (governing body in Quebec for wildlife regs) website is a nightmare. All of the publications and press releases are solely published in French....

hopefully this info will save any visitors from a fine, as our wardens are pretty ticket happy."

I read this as well. However the MFFP website is offered in English. Confusing as hell though - the zone I'm traveling to (22) is divided into North and South, and then subdivided again in an absolute mess of subzones. See for yourself; https://mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/fishing-regulations/pdf/impression/Fishing-Map-Zone-22.pdf

I could see people getting in trouble over these new regs. If you seldom travel to quebec, and check these bait regulations real quick, it would be easy to assume live baitfish are allowed in certain zones. Zone 22 for example isn't even mentioned. So you could readily assume there are no prohibitions on baitfish at all.

I fish the Ottawa River and if you're on the Quebec side of the river minnows are illegal. But you can have a beer visible when checked by Quebec enforcement! Hope the minnows got the memo so they don't SWIM across the river! It doesn't make sense on this body of water.

I fish the Ottawa River and if you're on the Quebec side of the river minnows are illegal. But you can have a beer visible when checked by Quebec enforcement! Hope the minnows got the memo so they don't SWIM across the river! It doesn't make sense on this body of water.

Same with lake st Francis

Can use them on one side and not the other