Father's Day Rice Lake Report

Steelcat

First of all~ Happy Father's Day~!

It's a lovely day to go fishing with my dad and my brother. The weather was nice with light wind and sun shine. We arrived at the boat rental at around 8am, finished up all the paper work and immediately put everything into the boat. Before everyone was ready, I was able to catch a couple nice looking Rock Bass off the dock. We then drive to find our target fish "Walleye". On the first location, we managed to catch some Perch, as well as a Smallmouth and a Largemouth. Not a bad way to start our day. After an hour of drifting with no luck, we decided to go search for a new location. We were trying to find weedbed that's 10 to 12 feet deep. Finally we were able to find a nice looking area with weed pockets as well as holes within the weedbed. We were using jig and grub, with a light wind, we were able to drift across the weedbed in perfect speed. Whenever we saw holes in the weedbed, we dropped our jig into it, jig a little and go for another hole. Overall we managed to catch 10 more Bass, and 10 Walleyes. They all stopped biting at around 2pm, so we called it a day. We brought back a couple Walleye for our Father's Day dinner~!

A little warm section with a nice size Rock Bass

P6171751a.jpg

Hungry Sunfish that ate almost everything.

P6171756a.jpg

3 of the many Walleye that we've caught today.

P6171762a.jpg

P6171771a.jpg

P6171774a.jpg

Look at all those bait fish~!

P6171777a.jpg

Nope, we didn't catch any eyes with slop blobbers. All eyes were caught with our jig and grub drop deep into the weed holes. We use blobber when there was no bite and we used that time to have our lunch (so we can still have a chance to get a fish while we were eating)

Nice catch. I am from out of country and I will be going to Rice Lake on a fishing trip with my father in law for a week. Where abouts on the lake are you all catching the walleye. We are mostly fishing for pan fish and know where they are but being that we never really fish for the eyes we dont know any good spots. Can you provide any info on this. We have a boat as well.