A quick fish, then home for Peppers and a turtle shell. LOL

misfish

Well fishing was the start of the morning. Didnt count on much, due to the rain fall we had up here. Double double anyone? A few hours spent chucking and drifting, then it was time to get home and get some chores done.

These chores I dont mind doing.

Roasting peppers and some garlic, while working on my little gals turtle shell for halloween.

I was asked to make a turtle shell by my grandaughter. Female nija turtle. Ok, I can do this. Work in progress

DSCF3408.JPG

So with that out of the way for now, it was time to get busy with the roasted peppers. Taking advice from the ones that know, I got busy.

Looks like christmas.

DSCF3403.JPG

Then it happened,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ran out of propane. :wallbash:

(Im going to make a tray for the BBQ so I use charcoal the next time.)

So covered in tin foil and made a run to the local CTC.

Back with a full tank and the roasting was back on.

DSCF3406.JPG

Getting it done.

DSCF3404.JPG

Cooling off then pull the stems like I was told.

DSCF3410.JPG

Packed with garlic gloves, and vacumed with a straw, and ready for the freezer.

DSCF3413.JPG

How did I do byes? :rolleyes:

Edited by Brian B

You did well! I nevr use garlic in the freezing option. But instead of a straw, Me being me and don't have agood saverand have a one of those battery vacums, rig it upe witha small plastic hose and turn her on, pull out and seal! It may work lol

I bought a bushel for $ 25 for roasting but no freezing this year, jarred and sealed. Old ironmaker knows the""bagnio Marino" situation.

I bought and extra few and made 3 jars in vinegar! They are sealing/cooling now!

BTW I got up at 6 and hoped the man has fog lamps as you guys call it, a real pee Souper!

Homer tryin to be Italian. :worthy::rofl2:

I thought I was goin to see some homer Vitals. :good::D

Lookin good Bro, look tasty.

Try it bye, you might like it. LOL

The fog was tic in spots, but not a bad drive this morning Albert. Did have to slow down for a family of racoons though. Looks like you have some work to do before you get your socks off to crush grapes. :rofl2:

Homer tryin to be Italian. :worthy::rofl2:

I thought I was goin to see some homer Vitals. :good::D

Lookin good Bro, look tasty.

That man looks more Italian than me ! he drives a black truck with a cover! he is finely "tooned"

You know, row row your toon . . crap!

And he likes to float!

Go get'm flipper!

Somebuddy out der is gonna toon yous guys up. I'm tellin ya'. I'm tellin ya'.

Ketch, I think the best way is to jar them after cleaning them and pressing the oil out then a few whole cloves of garlic and a leaf or 2 of fresh Basil fill with veggie oil and then boil them to seal the disinfected jars. They would always tasted best like our Mom and Nani did.

I put them in freezer bags and fill with water and seal and freeze. After thawing take them out and towel dry them well. In a colander a clean dish towel or cheese cloth lines it. The dried as possible peppers go into the scula pasta (water go spaghetti stop) and another towel on top. OK this gets silly now, the colander goes into a large bowl and a brick or 2 goes on top of the top towel in the fridge over night to weigh down the peppers. Much water and oil will be in the bottom of the bowl the colander sits in the next AM. The oil is bitter usually. I will let the oil guys make oil. The peppers now go into a jar with canola oil, a few peeled garlic cloves and a few sprigs of fresh basil. The peppers will last many weeks as long as you keep filling the jar with oil when the peppers are taken out so they don't come into contact with the air. No olive oil, Canola oil. A bushel of properly done pepes only fills a part of a colander, that's it, low yield.

Kind of gong backwards here, after they are blackened they need to cool down so the skin lifts off the meat to clean them. They go into brown paper bags and they steam actually finishing the cooking process. I cheat, I put down layers of newspaper on the table and as they come hot off the grill I lay them out on the paper and cover them with more paper. A few pages not just one to insulate them. Once they are all cool to the touch, peel them, core them and take the seeds out under the tap.

Now that you have done 1/2 dozen bushels and drank a few gallons of red wine and a crock of Vecchio Romano call everyone and give them all away. I know I complain but I like sharing my pepe. I can still get them for 15 bucks a box, same as bushel from a Brantford wholesaler we know.

My eyes aren't great this week, did you not peel them, core them and deseed them? Those peppers need to be blackened 100%.

Me thinks you guys better stick to Cod tongue pie. Bring over a bushel and we will do them together.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Ketch, I think the best way is to jar them after cleaning them and pressing the oil out then a few whole cloves of garlic and a leaf or 2 of fresh Basil fill with veggie oil and then boil them to seal the disinfected jars. They would always tasted best like our Mom and Nani did.

I put them in freezer bags and fill with water and seal and freeze. After thawing take them out and towel dry them well. In a colander a clean dish towel or cheese cloth lines it. The dried as possible peppers go into the scula pasta (water go spaghetti stop) and another towel on top. OK this gets silly now, the colander goes into a large bowl and a brick or 2 goes on top of the top towel in the fridge over night to weigh down the peppers. Much water and oil will be in the bottom of the bowl the colander sits in the next AM. The oil is bitter usually. I will let the oil guys make oil. The peppers now go into a jar with canola oil, a few peeled garlic cloves and a few sprigs of fresh basil. The peppers will last many weeks as long as you keep filling the jar with oil when the peppers are taken out so they don't come into contact with the air. No olive oil, Canola oil. A bushel of properly done pepes only fills a part of a colander, that's it, low yield.

Kind of gong backwards here, after they are blackened they need to cool down so the skin lifts off the meat to clean them. They go into brown paper bags and they steam actually finishing the cooking process. I cheat, I put down layers of newspaper on the table and as they come hot off the grill I lay them out on the paper and cover them with more paper. A few pages not just one to insulate them. Once they are all cool to the touch, peel them, core them and take the seeds out under the tap.

Now that you have done 1/2 dozen bushels and drank a few gallons of red wine and a crock of Vecchio Romano call everyone and give them all away. I know I complain but I like sharing my pepe. I can still get them for 15 bucks a box, same as bushel from a Brantford wholesaler we know.

My eyes aren't great this week, did you not peel them, core them and deseed them? Those peppers need to be blackened 100%.

Me thinks you guys better stick to Cod tongue pie. Bring over a bushel and we will do them together.

The closest I came to cod was in June of 1960 as we turned down the St Lawrence in to Quebec!!!! .

we do it

It simple:

If you want to freeze them:

Roast them NOT 100% (too soft) it's a preference on how much . .

If freezing only take the the Stem off and squeeze out the water and most of the seeds . . We don't remove the charrred skin.

Lay flat in a foodsver bag and vacuum seal.

Defrost and they peel easely and fix to eat. Garlic, salt parsley and veg/olive oil.

This year we are doing it the same but 'fixing' them and jarring them so when you want some they are "ready ro eat.

Save freezing . . .

I made some in vinegar/water today

50%vin/water and boil it

Fill jars with sliced peppers and diced garlic, fill with HOT water/vinagar and close jars and turn up side down. It seals the jars and creates a vacuum, last for years. They will soften over time. Better within a year!

There are a lot of ways to do it , the way it best is the way YOU like and taste.

The closest I came to cod was in June of 1960 as we turned down the St Lawrence in to Quebec!!!! .

we do it

It simple:

If you want to freeze them:

Roast them NOT 100% (too soft) it's a preference on how much . .

If freezing only take the the Stem off and squeeze out the water and most of the seeds . . We don't remove the charrred skin.

Lay flat in a foodsver bag and vacuum seal.

Defrost and they peel easely and fix to eat. Garlic, salt parsley and veg/olive oil.

This year we are doing it the same but 'fixing' them and jarring them so when you want some they are "ready ro eat.

Save freezing . . .

I made some in vinegar/water today

50%vin/water and boil it

Fill jars with sliced peppers and diced garlic, fill with HOT water/vinagar and close jars and turn up side down. It seals the jars and creates a vacuum, last for years. They will soften over time. Better within a year!

There are a lot of ways to do it , the way it best is the way YOU like and taste.

LMAO

This reminds me of my italian brother friends. One had his way, the other his........................................

BURP

I added a few of the peppers and garlic to the soup from last night.

PERFECTO

BURP

Italy is so diverse as Canada in a sense, each village/region has a way of doing things and we SHARE methods/ tastes

I was 8 when I came here and ALL was learned from different regions when we met in Canada. . .

I have neighbour who pours HOT water on tomatoes to peel them and burns his fingers! We put them in hot water to soften the skins and then cold water and then peel them, no pain at all.

Preference is YOUR method only and the system you prefer as Lon as it works for YOU?

Brian has a toonie. BILLM likes walking/boat. Lew gave it up. We are different but also the same.

We can learn from each other. Humans got where we are by sharing knowledge.

Wine next week, any suggestion? LOL! I don't squeeze grapes with my feet.

My way is the right way!!!! Ha.

Forget about region to region recipes are different in the same family. I wouldn't feed my aunts tomato sauce to the cat. She feels the same for mine I bet. I missed something in the translation, I thought you were the down homer, must be the other guy. Where are you from?

OI I' m a Canadian foremost, but my

Family heritage is of Itailian I was born there. My parents adopted Canada and contributed to it's growth and gave us values to pass on.

My grandfather came to Canada to WORK in 1906 and left in 1909.

My family came for southeast of Rome and started immigrating in the late 40s.

We are and will always be Canadiand but keep our courtural ties In food.

No more limos lol.

I worked in the Open Hearth, almost all I worked with were Italian, I did learn lots about their cooking.

I'd be 400 LBs. if I had married one. :rolleyes::D One of the best meals I had was Spaghetti Olio, lots of hot peppers and parmesan.

I always wondered if a little anchovies thrown in would be good :good:

Edited by Fish Farmer

My Mom would grow bell peppers, stuff them with sauerkraut and then pickle them. They would come out crunchy and delicious. That's the German way of dealing with large amounts of peppers.

My Dad, of Hungarian descent, would string his peppers, through the stems and hang them in his garage for weeks. Once dried, he would remove the stems, seeds etc, then grind them into a powder and we would have Paprika for the year!

HH

See Bro, you gots the Italiascos battling over who makes the better sauce and wine. :clapping::D

Nothin better than Heinz Spaghetti, take that from a Munjacake or The Cronz :D

Now Ketchenany has me puzzled, Not to many know about Flipper :rolleyes::wacko: You're going way back :good:

You have me guessing :rolleyes:B)

The two brothers I spoke of, they would make different wines. I would HAVE to sample. I would get them going. Ok I need to try them again, and again. By the time I was well, wined out, I told them both they were good. Then the argueing started again. Mo wine please. LOL

There was one thing we all aggreed on though. They both made great Grappa. Now thats a moon shine. Store bought had nothing on these guys. Smooth as silk going down.

But when you have food like this, Im happy.

Albert, that salami is the boom. If I am not mistaken, would it be a Sopressata take? YUMMMMMMMY. Just enough heat to it.

A little snack before dinner. :clapping:

MOLTO BENE.

DSCF3414.JPG

DSCF3416.JPG

Dave my garlic and olio does have a can of anchovies in it. They liquefy in the oil garlic and and pepper flakes, try it.

My southern friends add bread crumbs as well as parm to the spaghetti, I like Spagettini best. Don't pour the sauce over the cooked pasta add the pasta to the pan you made the olio in.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The two brothers I spoke of, they would make different wines. I would HAVE to sample. I would get them going. Ok I need to try them again, and again. By the time I was well, wined out, I told them both they were good. Then the argueing started again. Mo wine please. LOL

There was one thing we all aggreed on though. They both made great Grappa. Now thats a moon shine. Store bought had nothing on these guys. Smooth as silk going down.

But when you have food like this, Im happy.

Albert, that salami is the boom. If I am not mistaken, would it be a Sopressata take? YUMMMMMMMY. Just enough heat to it.

A little snack before dinner. :clapping:

MOLTO BENE.

attachicon.gifDSCF3414.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3416.JPG

I hope that's Asiago cheese BAM!

When I retired a Italian gut gave me a couple small bottles of Grappa and it still sits in my bar fridge today, I'm scared to drink it. :stretcher:

Dave my garlic and olio does have a can of anchovies in it. They liquefy in the oil garlic and and pepper flakes, try it.

My southern friends add bread crumbs as well as parm to the spaghetti, I like Spagettini best. Don't pour the sauce over the cooked pasta add the pasta to the pan you made the olio in.

Stop it Johnny your makin me hungry :clapping:

Well the shell is done as far as poppy goes. There are stickers to be put on, but that fun I will leave for my little nija girl to do. The sword is glow in the dark. I thought that was a cool saftey feature. Her dad can just shine a flash light on it through out the night to keep it glowing.

Ya, some do find me handy. LOL

DSCF3418_zpszwubrwto.jpg

Nice job on the Mutant Ninja shell, she will be happy.

I've never seen fancier anti pasto. PM me some.

Made succo today. 4 hours on the stove, the meat is falling off the bones. Pork and beef ribs. Cooking some large Ontario cheese ravioli.[/quotient

I'm more Cunuck than Itay but the word succo in some Italian dialects does not mean what you think it is lol

You may want to use the word sugo : meaning, as in sauce, gently simmered

if we want to have pasta at 5pm on a Sunday, yes, 5, we wait for all of the kids and theirs to gather and them we eat.

The sugo goes on at 10 am. Or so.

lamb meat in season Easster and Christmas is also good for a sugo. We only use the portion that can't go on the BBQ?

like I said, we have a diverse culture and we can learn from this.I don't eat MacD or drink Tim's.

BBQed lamb on New Year's day on charcoal can't be beaten!

Got to love how a plan comes together. I was going to make straps for the shell. Went to get the materials at wal mart and they had these kids back packs on for $4.85. And there was pink ones. Brain got spinning and well, now she has the shell and a back pack for after. Stitched it in with Pink raven 10 pound line i had.

DSCF3423 ninja.JPG

As you can see, the test past. LOL

DSCF3426ninja.JPG

Edited by Brian B

Got to love how a plan comes together. I was going to make straps for the shell. Went to get the materials at wal mart and they had these kids back packs on for $4.85. And there was pink ones. Brain got spinning and well, now she has the shell and a back pack for after. Stitched it in with Pink raven 10 pound line i had.

Don't take that on the toon! Different strokes for different folks! Unless you want a pink salmon! :)

Edited by ketchenany